[Tutorials] How to repair your SECU16

electron

Administrator
Staff member
/archive/j/tutorials/2009/6/secu16-rs485.jpgThis small tutorial will show you how to replace the RS-485 chip in an ADI SECU16 Ocelot expansion module. My SECU16 was damaged by a lightning strike/power surge several years ago, but I kept the device around, in case I ever had the time to figure out if it is fixable.  I replaced the original Ocelot with a brand new unit, but I never bothered to purchase a new SECU16 since I have other home automation devices which filled the void until recently.  I heard that replacing the chip reponsible for the RS-485 communitcations sometimes fixes the situation, so I decided to give it a shot, with great results.
The part in question (SN75176BP) is extremely cheap (<$1 from most sources), it's the shipping and handling cost that will bump up the price a little. Since this chip is also used in the Ocelot itself, and other Ocelot expansion modules, I highly recommend that you purchase a few of them, just in case.  Instructions for replacing the chip in the other Ocelot expansion modules are the same.
Before you decide to do this repair, make sure that your SECU16 is enrolled (or at least tried to enroll it).  Check the SECU16 manual for more details.
Read more to see the detailed instructions, pictures and video.

Click here to view the article

I worked on an X-ray difractometer and it kept blowing the RS232 chips. The manufactuer recomended replacingthe chips (socketed). I went a step futher and added an external isolation module and the problem went away. <$100 many years ago.

Back