Two 485 Bus Questions

RandyKnight

First Question:
With a 568A RJ45 end on a DBH, which wires would I connect to 12V,A,B,Neg on a RS-485 terminal connection?

Edit: Figured this one out. But still not the 2nd one.

Second Question:
What I have is 4 zone expanders all mounted together. I want to daisy chain the 4 of them and then just run one of them back to the DBH? If I just daisy chain the 4 of them and then run back to the DBH from one of them, will the termination on the DBH be sufficient? Or do I need to terminate the end of the chain as well?

in short, not recommended. the data bus hub has a send and a return line. combining them between devices is going to show the resistor before everything. if you only had one plug on the DBH, i suppose it could work, but i would just play it safe and home run everything.

I have 5 zone expanders, 4 keypads, and 4 or 5 output expanders. So the DBH runs out of jacks real quick. Maybe I should just use the DBH for remote stuff like keypads and remote expanders and run everything else on a second leg off the panel?

RandyKnight said:
I have 5 zone expanders, 4 keypads, and 4 or 5 output expanders. So the DBH runs out of jacks real quick. Maybe I should just use the DBH for remote stuff like keypads and remote expanders and run everything else on a second leg off the panel?
You can daisy chain the DBH's together though. With your list below you have 14 devices. Two DBH's will work for that. When you add more, just add a new DBH. I have my setup with one DBH in the attic and one in the crawlspace. Each of my keypads, serial ports, or input expanders connect in through a DBH and I actually have nothing other than the wireless expander and the Acc +/- wires run to the ELK itself. makes it really easy to add new things around the house.

Back