Unable to enroll M1XIN zone expander

tadr

I have started bench testing my Elk M1G setup and for some reason can't seem to get the M1XIN zone expander module to enroll.

I have the M1G hooked up to a M1DBH. The zone expander is plugged into J1. I have an M1KP2 keypad plugged into J2. The RJ45 terminator plug is plugged into J3. JP3 on the control board is shorted. I have the dip switches on the M1XIN set to address 2. JP1 ("Terminate RS485 bus") on the M1XIN is set to "No." With everything off, I measure 65 ohms between A and B on the RS485 bus. All seems OK.

When I turn on the system, the M1KP2 keypad enrolls automatically. The LED on the M1XIN flashes in bursts of three (according to the instructions, this indicates "not enrolled."

The problem: When I do a bus enrollment from either the M1KP2 keypad or the ElkRP software, I can't seem to get the M1XIN to enroll. The Keypad only ever reports 1 bus module (itself). The enrollment window in the ElkRP software only ever reports the control board and the keypad. The LED on the M1XIN continues to flash in bursts of three as if nothing happened.

I have double and triple checked all of the connections between the M1DBH and the M1XIN. I even connected the M1XIN directly to the M1G control board by removing JP3 on the control board and setting the terminating jumper on the M1XIN.

Any ideas? This is my first time working with the Elk, so I wonder if I am perhaps missing something fundamentally simple. But I have poured over the directions and searched the forums to no avail. Help!

Any idea what the chances are that I have a defective M1XIN module? Any idea how often these things go bad (or are DOA)?

Try and temporarily connecting the M1XIN directly to the 4 wire buss terminal on the M1 and re-enroll. Sometimes modules do not enroll when connected to the DBH but they will work properly once enrolled as I noted and moved back to the DBH.

I have had to do that a few times on various installations. Now I just use a DBHR most of the time.

Or you may have a bad termination somewhere.

Defective modules are possible but not common with the ELK line.

Try and temporarily connecting the M1XIN directly to the 4 wire buss terminal on the M1 and re-enroll <SNIP>

I actually tried that. I attached the M1XIN directly to the 4-wire terminal on the M1 control board and terminated the M1XIN with the onboard jumper. I removed JP3 from the control board. I left the M1DBH connected with just the M1KP2 keypad in J1 and the RJ45 terminating plug in J2.

Should I disconnect everything except the M1XIN, connect the M1XIN to the control board, and try to enroll it? It seems to me that even if I get it enrolled when connected to the control board by itself, once I re-enroll to add the keypads back later (once the M1XIn is connected to the m1dbh again), the M1XIN will get un-enrolled....

I actually tried that. I attached the M1XIN directly to the 4-wire terminal on the M1 control board and terminated the M1XIN with the onboard jumper. I removed JP3 from the control board. I left the M1DBH connected with just the M1KP2 keypad in J1 and the RJ45 terminating plug in J2.

Should I disconnect everything except the M1XIN, connect the M1XIN to the control board, and try to enroll it? It seems to me that even if I get it enrolled when connected to the control board by itself, once I re-enroll to add the keypads back later (once the M1XIn is connected to the m1dbh again), the M1XIN will get un-enrolled....

I tried this again tonight. I actually completely disconnected the M1DBH and keypad and tried to enroll just the M1XIN. I connected it directly to the M1 control board and set the terminating jumper on the M1XIN to "yes." I also made sure JP3 on the M1 control board was still shorted. Same behavior -- absolutely nothing happened when I tried to enroll it. (There is no need for a keypad to be hooked up for enrollment via ElkRP, right?)

Can someone clarify the jumper settings for the address on the M1XIN for me?
The manual for the M1XIN indicates that this is the jumper setting for address 2 (and that the unit is shipped with address 2 set):
M1XIN_manual.JPG

However, this is how the jumpers appeared when I got the M1XIN:
M1XIN_3flashes.JPG

When the dip switches are set as shown in the above picture I get 3 flashes ("not enrolled"). Enrollment does not work.

So, I tried changing the dipswitches to match the picture in the manual:
M1XIN_5flashes.JPG

When the dip switches are set as shown in the above picture I get 5 flashes ("OK to enroll"). Enrollment still does not work.

Questions:
1) Can someone tell me the proper dip switch setting for address 2?
2) Can someone tell me the difference between "not enrolled" and "OK to enroll."
3) Does anyone have any idea why enrollment might not be working, when the only thing connected to the M1 is the M1XIN and a speaker?

What you have in the first picture (not enrolled) is correct for address 2 when compared to my setup. My dip switch blocks look a little different though (pictures on my website). Double check your terminations and if you are sure they are right, replace the M1XIN.

What you have in the picture is correct for address 2 when compared to my setup. Double check your terminations and if you are sure they are right, replace it.
Thanks for the response, but can you clarify which above the above pictures matches address 2 on your setup? Thanks!

I would think the second picture, with the 5 blinks is correct, as the manual says "switch 2 is shown in the ON position and the rest are in the OFF position." which your board shows on as up. I have a M1XIN here and a DBH I have been meaning to install maybe I can check it this weekend.

The diagram of the DIP switches in the doc is a little confusing. It's easy to think that in the diagram, switch 2 is on the side of DIP switch block that has the word address on it, but it's not that way. The actual switch position(s) are the white rectangles, not the grey ones with the "X" in it. If you look closely at your DIP switch, you will see the word "ON" printed on it. That is the location of the switch(es) when they are in the "on" position. When a switch is on the same side as the numbers printed on it, it is in the "off" position. Your second picture has the address as "2". Your third picture has the address as "13".

What happens if you put the keypad on J1 and the XIN on J2 of the DBH? I have no reason to believe that will make any difference, but it's how mine is wired. I use only DBH's (currently have three in use -- one in the M1G can and two in remote cans) and they all work correctly.

The diagram of the DIP switches in the doc is a little confusing. It's easy to think that in the diagram, switch 2 is on the side of DIP switch block that has the word address on it, but it's not that way. The actual switch position(s) are the white rectangles, not the grey ones with the "X" in it. If you look closely at your DIP switch, you will see the word "ON" printed on it. That is the location of the switch(es) when they are in the "on" position. When a switch is on the same side as the numbers printed on it, it is in the "off" position. Your second picture has the address as "2". Your third picture has the address as "13".

What happens if you put the keypad on J1 and the XIN on J2 of the DBH? I have no reason to believe that will make any difference, but it's how mine is wired. I use only DBH's (currently have three in use -- one in the M1G can and two in remote cans) and they all work correctly.

Thank you for the explanation re the diagram in the manual. I feel a little dumb now, but that makes complete sense.

If I put the keypad on J1 and the XIN on J2 I get the same results. I now have two keypads enrolled and no matter what order I attach the keypads and XIN to the DBH, the XIN still refuses to enroll. I'm convinced that it is defective and will be submitting an RMA request to smarthome on Monday.

Thank you for the explanation re the diagram in the manual. I feel a little dumb now, but that makes complete sense.

If I put the keypad on J1 and the XIN on J2 I get the same results. I now have two keypads enrolled and no matter what order I attach the keypads and XIN to the DBH, the XIN still refuses to enroll. I'm convinced that it is defective and will be submitting an RMA request to smarthome on Monday.

Those dip switch blocks are confusing. I had a similar confusion when I setup my M1XSP and my thermostat wasn't working. You start to question everything, and start losing your mind. Turned out to be a bad TSTAT in my case.

I got the replacement M1XIN today and had it working in about 5 minutes. Looks like I had a defective board. Thanks, all, for your troubleshooting help.

Back