unstable network

pfeuffer

Hi,

I'm setting up a weather station using primarily Hobby Boards. This is what it looks like:

+ --- PC
|
| 4'
|
+ HB Power injector <-- ( 20VDC )
+ HB Barometer
|
| 15'
|
+ HB Temp/Humidity/Solar
|
| 25'
|
+ HB Anemometer ADS
|
| 1'
|
+ HB Lightning detector
|
| 70'
|
+ Dallas rain gauge

Everything is fine until I plug in the rain gauge into the lightning detector. When I do, the network becomes unstable. When watching it with OneWireViewer, I see the various devices come & go. If I plug the rain gauge in to the PC, it's detected & behaves properly.

I'm using CAT5E & the RJ-45 connections on the Hobby Boards.

Any suggestions for diagnosing the trouble & fixing it? Time for a powered hub?

Thanks!
--Mike

Are you using a USB adapter? They have been known to have some issues with the DS2423 which is used in the Rain Gauge and the Lightning Detector.

A couple of way you could try to solve the problem. Try to shorten the Lightning Detector to Rain Gauge segment of your network or try a Hub.

Eric

Are you using a USB adapter? They have been known to have some issues with the DS2423 which is used in the Rain Gauge and the Lightning Detector.

A couple of way you could try to solve the problem. Try to shorten the Lightning Detector to Rain Gauge segment of your network or try a Hub.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply. The master is a Dallas serial adapter from the original version 1 weather station. Unfortunately, shortening the distance from between the lightening detector & rain gauge will be difficult if I want to keep the rain gauge in an unobstructed area.

Can the hub accept power from the incoming RJ45, or does it have to be through the Power In jack?

Thanks,
--Mike

Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply. The master is a Dallas serial adapter from the original version 1 weather station. Unfortunately, shortening the distance from between the lightening detector & rain gauge will be difficult if I want to keep the rain gauge in an unobstructed area.

Can the hub accept power from the incoming RJ45, or does it have to be through the Power In jack?

Thanks,
--Mike

i had a similar problem with various 1 wire devices connected. Some would stay, some would come and go but usually would come back. I switched to logtemp and the problem disappeared. everything in the network was immediately recognized and the whole thing was stable. not sure what the problem was but its in the onewire viewer.

Back