UPB and Apartments

potts.mike said:
I had my cart filled and was about to checkout when I thought I better check the dryer plug. It unfortunately has four prongs in a configuration that doesn't match any of the plug in phase couplers. It looks like I am stuck trying to get the zwave working better.

Probably not so... I had the same problem in my current home as the newer dryer plugs are generally 4 pin, but if you check your dryer, it'll usually accept just the 3 (they rarely need the neutral).  Dryers are sold without cords because you match the cord to your house.  In my current house, I changed out both the outlet and the dryer cord to make them compatible with the SAI plug in dryer module.

You could also make your own easily enough which is what I might do if I were in your situation; I'd just get another dryer cord that matches the apartment, a surface mount 2 gang box or a handy box with 2 gang cover, and mount the UPB wire-in module next to the 4-prong outlet.  You could jumper the phase coupler off the terminals of your outlet and just ignore the neutral.  Then you'd have your own version of the plug-in module that doesn't affect the apartment wiring but it'd be compatible with your 4-prong dryer configuration. 

Or I could look closer when I get home - there's a chance the SAI module could be converted to a 4 prong; I don't know if the outlet would be swappable without looking, but you could definitely switch the dryer cord for the one attached to the phase coupler (so it's 4-pin to phase coupler/receptacle, then 3-prong to the dryer).  This would probably be the cheapest and cleanest option as the only thing you'd actually buy is the plug in phase coupler.

This is a standard 240v 4 prong dryer receptacle, NEMA 14-30R.   This is what your apartment should have if its a 4 prong receptacle.  If your 4-wire dryer plug doesn't match this, then its the wrong cord.  Might be a range cord.  Go to the hardware store and get the correct cord.

If you do switch the cord, for 4-wire make sure the neutral-ground link on the dryer frame is disconnected (frame is independently grounded), and for 3-wire make sure the link is connected (frame grounded through the neutral).

untitled.JPG

potts.mike said:
I had my cart filled and was about to checkout when I thought I better check the dryer plug. It unfortunately has four prongs in a configuration that doesn't match any of the plug in phase couplers. It looks like I am stuck trying to get the zwave working better.

Depending on the year of construction and local code you'll be dealing with different degrees of fire rated walls, floors and ceilings.  This and metal stud framing generally don't translate into good RF performance.

If line of sight devices perform well it's possible that a well placed repeater would help get around walls that are blocking the signal.

If you have fire rated bedroom doors things may be very difficult.

potts.mike said:
I am going to try moving  the vrcop around and see if I can get better performance.

After each move of the VRC0P make sure to "re-tune" your network for the new location configuration to ensure optimal performance.

Back