UPB Help

coope08

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase some Simply Automated UPB switches and have read a ton of articles out here but wanted to get confirmation on my assumptions before pulling the trigger.  This is new construction and I'm purchasing several so we decided on SA because of cost.

I have several 3 way switches that I was looking to automate.  Am I correct in thinking that I will need USR40A switches for this application?  

The single poles I was planning to use US1140s.  

I would also like opinions on phase couplers vs. split phase repeater.  Our house is a 3100 sqft ranch and we are planning on using HAI Omnipro II as the controller.

Lastly, any comments on occupancy sensing (pantry, master closet, and hallways in the evening in route to the bathroom for the kids) would be great.  I had everything prewired except occupancy - I completely forgot about this - so I am looking for some options that are retrofit as the drywall is up and we are on a concrete slab.  I saw Philips makes occusense wall switches that are zigbee enabled but I have not  been able to find any information on their compatibility with Omnipro.  We are using zigbee locks so adding more zigbee for this purpose would work.

Thanks!

The article in my signature talks about the UPB lights a lot - there is definitely a split school of thought as far as the remotes go - I think that they're way more flexible than people give them credit for and work as a real extension of the switch they're tied to - and they're more affordable.  Others want absolute flexibility at the cost of having to introduce links and virtual three-way circuits to get the exact indicator behavior that they like.

For automation, all I did was put recessed (hidden) door contacts on most of my interior doors and enrolled them into my Elk security system which is of course tied to the lights - so if I open the hall closet, the light turns on automatically; if the kids open their doors at night, it alerts us in the bedroom and turns on the bathroom light.

As for couplers, most installs use the inverting repeater/couplers.
You can use multiple repeaters.
I have 3200 sqft plus two outbuildings (another 1200 sqft) on a subpanel and have three couplers.
I only needed one but I noticed a loss of communications and traced it to my electric hot water heater, bridging the two phases when it was heating.
The additional repeaters boosted the signal.
I like the breaker box versions simply for ease and cleanliness of install.

Back