UPB configuration into OminPro

Yes, I have each block of UPB's in the OPII as HLC with the first unit (49 in the hall/BR block) being the room name. I have only 1 switch in this block so far which is the foyer (50).  

So, whereas I am programming the UPB in room 7, should I be using links 37-42 in UpStart as shown in the matrix?

Guess not, that didn't work either. 

Well, you can use any other links you have defined for anything.  The macro links are sort of virtual links (as I personally see it).

I am no expert though and do not utilize the HLC methodology for my UPB switch configurations in the OPII panel.

I did start to play with HLC and wrote up a matrix for my stuff; then kept adding switches to original configuration and fell into the HAI OPII HLC Matrix rabbit hole and abandoned my efforts. 

Thinking JonW (HAI HLC Matrix Obi Wan) did document this methodology first right here on Cocoontech.

As posted earlier; I see status of the links and switches fine with my setup via PCA, Omnitouch Screens, UPB Upstart and my Homeseer automation software having left the OPII configuration for the UPB devices as UPB.  Extra step here with Upstart for Automation software is the export of the UPB configuration file to the automation software box box where the UPB plugin reads the configuration before enabling itself.  I like my UPB switches in a certain order such that if I have to renumber switches it becomes a PITA (and time consuming).  Its easier to do it all at once with all of the switches in place.  IE: I revisited the family room when I redid it and added more UPB switches to the original setup making the lighting more granular.  It started at one switch; then went to four after the redo.  I did also go to dual load / multipaddle switches to reduce the footprint of the switches mostly cuz it looked better.

The OPII will update status of the UPB's in UPB mode when they are operated locally? That is mainly what I am after so I can have a switch tapped locally run a macro. IE; turn the kitchen island light on locally and have the undercounter lights come up to 50%. I know I can link them if they are both UPB switches, but at this point I am still using X-10 as well so I will need a macro to run in OPII to control the other switches

The OPII will update status of the UPB's in UPB mode when they are operated locally?

Whatever I did I can see the status.  I don't know if I did the do right though.  I just know it works for me.

Try it yourself as you cannot break the UPB switch or the OPII panel via programming it. (well I haven't broken the switches or panel yet).

I do have many links defined and have messed up sometimes. 

IE: turning on a light in the dining room and having the link by accident turning on lights in the office?  Just mostly because I didn't pay attention programming stuff in Upstart.

I utilize links today to do that even though I get status from my switches on my OPII panel.

I bypass the OPII for stuff like this (macro events using the UPB switches).

Think the inter UPB link communications like a reflex when you tap on your knee. 

The brain (OPII) knows you did it but the nerve talks directly to the muscle in a sort of short circuit.

For example:

In my kitchen today I have multiple UPB switches connecting to multiple circuits connecting to multiple lights.  I programmed one switch paddle to send out a link command to multiple switches.  Create a kitchen scene link; call it anything you want.  Program one paddle to send out the link scene.  Program the other switches to receive and act on the link.  The link can do anything you want.  Do this all with Upstart/UPB switches.

Using a mixture of X10-UPB connected to your panel just write a programming line that receives the link from the UPB switch or the ON from the X-10 switch and sends out a link or individual commands to different switches (I still have X10  - for holiday lighting and Z-Wave appliance / light modules for this or for that).

UPB Status Time, yes.

If your switch is set to transmit status on rocker press, and the traffic is being sent, it sounds like the Omni is not receiving.

Will it receive a Link?

You can add a test block so the Omni does something when it receives a UPB link to check it is receiving OK.
If not you may want to check for noise or attenuation.

If I missed it above, do you have a coupler installed?

The switches are sending the status links as the Upstart is showing them, so it's not on that end. I added a test block for a UPB link and the OPII did not execute, so it is not getting the signal from the switch.

The OPII did execute a link activation sent from UpStart.

According to UpStart signal strength is good and noise is low. That is from the PIM connected to PC which is not using an outlet near the OPII though they are on the same leg of the box.

I do not have a coupler, I was optimistic that if the OPII was sending UPB signals, and the switches were receiving them I wouldn't need one. 

When I first implemented UPB with my OPII panel I had an issue where I could send commands to the UPB switches and didn't see anything coming back.  That said I found that my HAI UPB was bad after some diagnostics using Upstart with the HAI UPB PIM.

Can you connect the UPB PIM that you are using with the OPII panel to a PC/Upstart to see if it is functioning correctly?

Thinking too that my original HAI UPB PIM came with an RJ to serial 9 pin adapter.  They are easy to make if you do not have one.

Thanks guys. I will start there. I just moved the HAI PIM to the leg that the switch is on and still not getting signal. I will check the PIM function next. Just have to find a PC with the DB-9 serial port.
You guys have been a great help to me and are definitely an asset to this board and the DIY automation community! 
THANK YOU!!!

I just looked at the PIM and see when I press the switches locally it is flashes green which indicates it is receiving signal. I know it's not as technical as running a diagnostic test, but re-connecting the computer with a DB-9 port will be a PITA. That computer won't run UpStart due to "internal kernal errors". 

Even though it does get the signal, could it still be a bad module that isn't translating signal to the OPII? 

Bought a USB to RS-232 adapter. Installed the associated software, hooked up the HAI PIM and UpStart program can not find it.
I have the correct com port and have tried different ones as well. 
The HAI PIM is plugged in and the LED is orange.
Am I doing something wrong, or is the HAI PIM toast?

Even when I try to find the serial port it comes up no interface found.

I now am reading there are possibly two different cables to be used with the HAI PIM? I have a grey 4 wire cable. Is there another 6 wire cable(as indicated in the install manual) with the same end that must be used with the OPII?

So I am leaning towards the fact I do not have the correct cable to connect my HAI PIM to the OPII. I am not able to locate one online and before I make one, can one of you gentlemen please confirm that it is a 6 conductor cable and is wired straight through.
Thanks in advance. 

Back