UPB control of ceiling fan

Enlarge Image, The UPB Home Control Manual clearly describes a variety of methods ... ceiling fans, bathroom exhaust fans, attic ventilation fans and more,

I am more than willing to "mod" a fan, but would prefer then to shop for companies fans that are easy to mod or well known what the wiring layout is. Has anyone actually nailed down the controllers on any specific fans?

I am the OP and I never found a solution to let me have full HA controll over the entire fan. In the end, I went with a Casablanca fans and used their Intel-touch control. However, I had electrician split out wiring for the lights and fan such that I can control the lights with my UPB switches while using the Casablanca Intel-touch switch for fan control. I choose this approach because this Casablanca switch allows about 6 different speeds which includes a real low speed. I did not like the 3 speed setup found on most fans because they would not allow me to run the fan as a very low speed. If I really wanted HA control bad, I would have wired in a control unit which would give me on/off to the fan circuit but that would defeat some of the features of the Intel-touch fan speed control (killing power to switch causes it to lose its memory on last fan speed). I don't have any HA fan control in this arrangement but it works for me.

Fans are a pain, and I live in Phoenix so have to deal with many of them. For me not so much speed control, but its the stupid remotes which manufacturers think I want, so they shove them down my throat.

I do one of two things. Use the fan as-is with the remote, but control the fan with a Simply Automated switch set to non-dimming. I use a motion detector in the room to turn on the switch when someone enters, and I turn it off after a set period. If I want the fan I have to use the remote, but my HA system can turn off the fan when nobody is in the room.

For my bedroom, where I needed full control, I ripped out the remote, and separated the light and fan. then I added a three speed switch, and capacitors like a manual fan has. The fans I have seen with remotes use the same motors as non-remote fans, but the remote replaces the speed control switch. It works great, and I can now control the light and fan separately, but I do have to manually change the fan speed with a pull-chain, and I don't think I added direction control.

What does the remote look like? Wonder if you could hack into it?

No remote involved.....I did not need another remote. All control is via Casablanca wall switch which has light, fan and power putton. Light button not used since I rerouted light wiring to my UPB switch. The fan button operates by pressing multiple times to get desired speed. Each speed change produces a beep. Turn fan off with fan buttion and the next time you press the fan button, it resumes at same speed when turned off. If you turn off with power button, it loses all its memory and you have to start back at speed level 1 and beep your way up to desired speed.

Simply Automated brand claims in their literature that their US11-40-W dimmer will control "Motors,Fans,LED,etc" (and lighting loads up to 900w.) Here is the link to the datasheet: http://www.simply-automated.com/documents/Datasheet_US11-40-W_130606.pdf  Amazon has them for under $60.00 I just ordered one to give it a try.

BTW - If you're looking for a dimmer for table lamps, etc, the Simply Automated plug-in lamp dimmer module (UML-20W) works well with the Phillips LED lamp bulbs (Model # 424382, available at HomeDepot). No flickering as with the HAI or PCS lamp modules.

This is a 4+ yr old thread - but yes, the SA switches will do on/off as Desert_AIP said - in fact, they control just about anything... you just need to set them to SNAP.  Unfortunately, there are no fan speed controllers in UPB even still.

House hasn't gone up in flames yet - and they've handled all the LED bulbs I've thrown at them.

Looks like you guys are right. The user manual contridicts/clarifies the sales brochure. It looks like the only automated fan speed control on the market right now is the Leviton Z-Wave (3 speed, low, medium, high) switch. http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=VRF01-1LX&section=44142&minisite=10251 (and Insteon's 3 speed wire-in module, which isn't a native Omni compatible protocol.)

I guess if you had a number of fans that needed to be controlled you could add Z-Wave to the Omni. However, if you wanted to control them with UPB you'd have to program UPB links to trigger the fan Z-Wave switches in automation programming. Not sure what limitations there would be though (status feedback, etc.) Perhaps now that Leviton owns HAI they might finally manufacture a HLC UPB fan switch. Unless they intend to eventually bury the HLC line in favor of their Z-Wave. :(

It's still puzzling that after all this time Z-Wave and Insteon are the only protocol/technology/products available (approved) to control ceiling fans. I would be perfectly happy with a three speed controller.

I have eight ceiling fans in my house controlled by SA switches. They work great, I've never had fan electrical noise bother them.  True, if I want to change the fan speed I have to use the fan switch, but I almost never find the need to change the fan speed. 

The BIGGEST problems with ceiling fans today is most of the better ones are controlled by a wireless remote, which can't be controlled by a UPB switch.  But I open them up, modify the control board to keep them at one speed, and they work great.

PaulD said:
No remote involved.....I did not need another remote. All control is via Casablanca wall switch which has light, fan and power putton. Light button not used since I rerouted light wiring to my UPB switch. The fan button operates by pressing multiple times to get desired speed. Each speed change produces a beep. Turn fan off with fan buttion and the next time you press the fan button, it resumes at same speed when turned off. If you turn off with power button, it loses all its memory and you have to start back at speed level 1 and beep your way up to desired speed.
This is exactly the same as my Casablanca setup.

Back