UPB Wierdness

Steve

Had a strange problem was wondering if anybody else has seen similar. So far I only have 1 UPB device - an SAI US11. Its been setup and working for about a week with no problem. All of the sudden tonight when I went to manually turn the switch (load) on, it did not respond, it was completely locked up - wouldn't do a thing. Confused, I first loaded UPStart to see if it could see the switch. UPstart saw the switch as missing (a black box). Doing a network search, the system went a bit nuts - yellow (found) boxes popped up all over the place during search and then disappeared at end of search. A communications test failed and signal strength was very low. At this point the switch was responding manually but UPstart was completely crazy still. Ok, so then I shut off the breaker to the where the switch is and turned it back on. That seemed to have cleared the problem to where UPstart now shows the switch (green box), communications test passes fine and lots of signal strength. The switch also responds manually. Only thing still off is a rule that counts clicks is not working when it was and I'm checking into that now.

Anybody ever see a UPB switch ever go out to lunch like that? I hope it was a freak thing that I should not expect when I add many more of them.

That's scary. Which device is the SAI11, exactly? Is that a Simply Automated switch? I'm hoping it's just a bad switch, or something rare.

I haven't heard of any widespread problems.

Chris

I've got 5 of those switches and have never seen anything even remotely like what you describe. That switch obviously failed since the local load was affected for a period of time. Then it sounds like a failure in the transmit element caused it to place random info on the line which UPStart detected as devices during the enumerate devices process. During its initial discovery phase, UPStart listens for abbreviated responses to quickly enumerate your network. Garbage from that switch could've triggered the response you saw. Removing power reset the switch somehow. I'd keep my eye on it and get a replacement if the problem crops back up..

kwilcox:

Great feedback. I've seen problems with some of the original Z-Wave switches (although not with the newer models) where the software would "lock up" in the switch and it would not respond to taps on the paddle. I'm really curious, since the problems in the switch working _manually_ went away after a bit of traffic crossed the network--and all was well after the circuit was reset. Z-Wave doesn't have powerline issues to worry about, but the switch I'm remembering also worked after it was "reset."

I'm glad to hear that the other ones out there seem to be working solidly.

Chris

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. I really thought it was weird that it started working manually after just poking around in UPstart instead of power reset. I'm probably going to order an HAI switch shortly to compare the 2 b4 I start getting a bunch of them. I wish there was a UPB switch that was a relay only for flourescents. I know the US11s would work but that is $70 vs $30 (Switchlinc 23885) and you wouldn't use half the functionality.

Your US-11 actually has even more functionality. I recently discovered that I could order the double "long" toggle faceplate for $10 or so and create a US-2 dual switch assembly. It's actually a dual element UPB device with the left side having local load control.

You're correct in that it would be nice to have a 23885 style offering though. As this powerline protocol heats up I'd expect more device manufacturers to jump in. There's also a real need for a wireless UPB interface module that could control a large hawkeye array or wireless remote IMO.

I wish there was a UPB switch that was a relay only for flourescents.
HAI will be releasing one soon. It was supposed to come out this month but I would suspect next month is more realistic at this point.

Do all UPB switches have to have a netural wire?
Yes

Anybody ever see a UPB switch ever go out to lunch like that?
I haven't seen that and I now have a bunch of them installed in my house. After you re-set everything, is it still happening?

Your US-11 actually has even more functionality. I recently discovered that I could order the double "long" toggle faceplate for $10 or so and create a US-2 dual switch assembly. It's actually a dual element UPB device with the left side having local load control.
Thats pretty cool. I may have to do that. Since I have only 1 keypad for the M1 (waiting on touchscreens), I created some rules for the switch in MB to look for multiple taps on 'off' to arm the system. It worked before this episode but doesn't now. Haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it yet. It might be better to just have the split toggle and just do a single press on one of the switches to do the same thing.

I wish there was a UPB switch that was a relay only for flourescents.

HAI will be releasing one soon. It was supposed to come out this month but I would suspect next month is more realistic at this point.
Cool. Do you know if pricing will be in the ballpark of the Switchlincs?

I haven't seen that and I now have a bunch of them installed in my house. After you re-set everything, is it still happening?
Everything seems to be working ok again except for the rule that I need to look at.

Quote from the Web Mountain UPB description:

All Web Mountain UPB wall dimmers can be used to control fluorescent and other non-dimming lights. In order to do this, the switch must be programmed with NetPlace or UPStart as a non-dimming switch. Please see the Installation Instructions for more information.

So it should be no problem.

You can get Web Mountain UPB switches here:
http://www.digitalavnew.com/UPBprod23.htm

Mark, Thanks, I know the full switches would work. My point was
I know the US11s would work but that is $70 vs $30 (Switchlinc 23885) and you wouldn't use half the functionality.
that you are paying more than double for a switch that has all the bells and whistles not being used.

Mark, do you know who made those Web Mountain switches? Trying to figure out if they are rebadging someone elses switches, or if they are a manufacture as well.

Mark, do you know who made those Web Mountain switches? Trying to figure out if they are rebadging someone elses switches, or if they are a manufacture as well.

Yes, they are made by Simply-Automated.

All UPB switches do what he is talking about.

Back