*** Uplink 4500EZ Serial Connector Pic. Need to find the pin out...

It took me a bit of time to get info on the pin out. No body seemed to have the info..... Then again when I got it the 4500EZ was just released.
Glad to know you were able to get it working.

All setup as of today. Jamie from Alarm Relay called me and stepped me through the setup. Tested several zones and the Smoke detectors and all is working.

I have installers manual .pdf for the 4500ez if anyone needs it.

I used a Altronix AL624 power supply/charger, ELK TRG1640 16VAC transformer & 12v/4A backup battery. The AL624 will power the 4500EZ and charge the battery.

Thanks Mp333. How long does this setup last when you lose power? Also, Is there a low battery auto disconnect to protect the battery?

I was looking at the ELK-P983 cabinet and power supply, with the lower power disconnect ELK-965, and the elk power supply ELK-TRG1640. This is the classic setup i think for the 2500. I assume that would work as well for the 4500ez?

Edit:
"I just checked the specs on both units. the 2500 used 2A max on Transmit. The 4500ez only uses 500ma. Is it recommended to have a separate power supply, or could i run it off an existing p212s with other alarm components?"

newalarm said:
Thanks Mp333. How long does this setup last when you lose power? Also, Is there a low battery auto disconnect to protect the battery?

I was looking at the ELK-P983 cabinet and power supply, with the lower power disconnect ELK-965, and the elk power supply ELK-TRG1640. This is the classic setup i think for the 2500. I assume that would work as well for the 4500ez?

Edit:
"I just checked the specs on both units. the 2500 used 2A max on Transmit. The 4500ez only uses 500ma. Is it recommended to have a separate power supply, or could i run it off an existing p212s with other alarm components?"

Uplinks website shows the 2500EZ as having max transmit of 500ma as well, but its been said there will possibly be a momentary spike up to 2A.  I would assume the 4500EZ (which also says 500ma max transmit) might work the same.  A P212 dedicated to it might be OK, but thats an awful expensive power supply that wont really be used much (since 99.9% of the time the Uplink wont take anywhere near the 2A)

In my case I picked up an Altronix 6A unit from Ebay.  I use it to power an Elk PD9 for motions and glassbreaks, along with a direct feed to the Uplink 2500 on my 2nd floor.

If you feed the Uplink power directly, you technically dont even need a cabinet.  Just need to hang it from the wall, along with tucking the XSP somewhere (I suppose it could even be put behind the wall if you had enough room).  I bought the P983 anyway, but I dont use the included charger/battery cutoff board since the Uplink is powered by the Altronix that has its own battery setup.

Does anyone have the part number, cost, and length of the serial cable provided by Uplink???

I called Uplink, but they refuse to give it to me. And the couple of venders I called either knew nothing about it, or refused to take the time to look it up. I guess I will end up making my own.

EDIT: "The serial cable from Uplink 4500CAB is priced at $40". I had missed that in earlier post.

newalarm said:
Does anyone have the part number, cost, and length of the serial cable provided by Uplink???

I called Uplink, but they refuse to give it to me. And the couple of venders I called either knew nothing about it, or refused to take the time to look it up. I guess I will end up making my own.

Post #3 in this thread has the pinout.  Probably better off building your own.

The XSPs I bought off Ebay didnt have the correct connector even for the port on my Uplink 2500.  I ended up purchasing the right connector and crimping the pins on myself anyway.  I would do the same thing for a 4500 in a heartbeat.

As far as length, I dont know...I have my XSP mounted in the P983 can along with the Uplink unit so my serial cable didnt even need to be as long as the stock cable from the XSP.  I didnt shorten it though.

srodgers said:
All setup as of today. Jamie from Alarm Relay called me and stepped me through the setup. Tested several zones and the Smoke detectors and all is working.

I have installers manual .pdf for the 4500ez if anyone needs it.
How can I get my hands on installer manual pdf.  Uplink is incredibly not helpful

On the manual for the M1XSP, in the instructions for the 2500 (page 25) it describes the pin configuration for the elk cable. It shows certain pins on the DB9 connector being jumpered. I assume this is not necessary for the 4500ez?

Is jumper configuration the same? 1,0.0,0?

Jumpers are the same as 2500. Only three wires (TX, RX, Gnd) are needed from the M1XSP DB9 to the 4500. No flow control line or other connections are needed.

srodgers said:
Jumpers are the same as 2500. Only three wires (TX, RX, Gnd) are needed from the M1XSP DB9 to the 4500. No flow control line or other connections are needed.
How about the connector/ DB9 plug. Manual shows certain pins being jumpered. Has anyone who has made their own cables done this? I would assume not,  but just wanted to check.

newalarm said:
How about the connector/ DB9 plug. Manual shows certain pins being jumpered. Has anyone who has made their own cables done this? I would assume not,  but just wanted to check.

IIRC my XSP came with a cable that had the DB9 plug already installed and bare ends on the other end of the cable.  I purchased the correct connector to plug into the Uplink 2500 serial port (which isnt available on the 4500 anymore) and crimped the pins onto the bare ends and inserted into the new connector.

Did your XSP come with a cable that had the DB9 already installed?  Trying to remember exactly but I think I opened up the DB9 connector that was there and was able to verify the pins were already jumpered from Elk.

Alright.. Just received the M1XSP. It came with the serial cable, with a 6 pin connector for the uplink 2500 and HAI t-stats. Cable was labeled ELK-W046A.

It has a 6 pin connector.

So in need a 4pin or 12 pin connector to connect to the 4500ez. I tried Radio shack but I could not find it. Of course the teenagers there were too busy checking their facebook to help out. Anyone know where i can pick a connector up?

Thanks.

Back