UPS (battery backup) for enclosure

Has anyone seen a UPS system that will fix it a home automation enclosure?

Do you have to have a UPS? If everything is 12V or less then an ELK P412 will fit in well and give you a much longer run time.

Hi upstatemike,

Not familiar with the ELK P412 as we don't see it down here in Australia.

It looks interesting thou. What I want to be able to do is back up a Billion ADSL 12vDC router in the event of power failure. I am trying to avoid a UPS system. The M1 has a SLA battery and what I was thinking of doing is putting in a seperate SLA power system to hold the ADSL up for 15-20 minutes or so. I was wondering if the ELK P412 actually charges and powers the "load" in a diode ORing configuation?

That is both are across the load and sharing at the same time. Then if the AC fails then SLA continues until it hit the low voltage trip and drops the load to protect the battery. Do you know if the P412 does this.? The info from the ELK site doesn't confirm that it does a diode ORing or relay switching for the battery take up.

I obviuosly don't want to see a relay switching the battery to the ADSL router as even that small cut over time will see the router do a reset which is when the XEP is probably sending an email or I am trying to have a remote look at what is going on at the house.

Regards,

Fleetz

Has anyone seen a UPS system that will fix it a home automation enclosure?

Do you have to have a UPS? If everything is 12V or less then an ELK P412 will fit in well and give you a much longer run time.

Hi upstatemike,

Not familiar with the ELK P412 as we don't see it down here in Australia.

It looks interesting thou. What I want to be able to do is back up a Billion ADSL 12vDC router in the event of power failure. I am trying to avoid a UPS system. The M1 has a SLA battery and what I was thinking of doing is putting in a seperate SLA power system to hold the ADSL up for 15-20 minutes or so. I was wondering if the ELK P412 actually charges and powers the "load" in a diode ORing configuation?

That is both are across the load and sharing at the same time. Then if the AC fails then SLA continues until it hit the low voltage trip and drops the load to protect the battery. Do you know if the P412 does this.? The info from the ELK site doesn't confirm that it does a diode ORing or relay switching for the battery take up.

I obviuosly don't want to see a relay switching the battery to the ADSL router as even that small cut over time will see the router do a reset which is when the XEP is probably sending an email or I am trying to have a remote look at what is going on at the house.

Regards,

Fleetz

As far as I can tell there is no relay cutover. It is diode switching just like the smaller 1 amp P624 supplies. The main difference with the P412 is:

4 amp capacity fed through 3 sets of terminals with 2 amp PTC protection limit per set.
Switching power supply so no external wall wart transformer

There is a relay for the low battery cutoff only.

Maybe Spanky can confirm this?

There is a relay for the low battery cutoff only.
On the Altronix that is an optional extra. That's why I use ELK.
But many Altronix units have a "low battery" warning relay, which the Elks do not, to give you a way to monitor your battery or take action before you shut down. You can add an Elk-965 or the Altronix LPD to gain the low-battery cutoff.

Back