USB 2.0 to IDE Adapter Cable for $16.50

BraveSirRobbin

ComputerGeeks.com is offering a USB2.0 to IDE Adapter Cable for $16.50 plus shipping HERE.

This is handy for creating a temporary/mobile mass storage device from an extra hard drive you have laying around. Additional details include:

The USB 2.0 to IDE Drive Adapter implements a bridge between one USB port and one ATA or ATAPI based mass storage device port. The USB 2.0 to IDE Drive Adapter turns any IDE drive into a convenient external drive. Easily transfer files from computer or notebook, back up files, or store large file archives on hard drives. The Hi-Speed USB interface provides for easy installation with its Plug and Play design. The adapter supports all existing IDE/ATAPI devices such as Iomega Zip, CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD-ROM and IDE hard drives.

Features/Specifications

USB to IDE 2.5-foot Cable with Power Adapter
General Features:
USB to IDE Cable
2.5-feet long
Connect any device with an IDE Interface to a PC with
USB interface
(Successfully tested with a Maxtor 250GB UDMA/133 Hard
Drive)
Transfer rate Approx. 480 MBps
Complies with USB 2.0 standards
Backwards compatible to USB 1.1 standards
Complies with ATA/ATAPI-66 Spe. V1.0
Easy to Install
Supports IDE and enhanced IDE hard drives
Supports ATA/ATAPI CD-ROM/R/RW DVD-ROM and more
External power adapter for IDE/ATAPI devices
Linux 2.4.X compatible

Regulatory Marks
FCC
CE
TUV-GS
CCC

Retail Package Includes:
USB to IDE adapter cable
Power adapter and cord
Driver CD

Product Requirements
PC Requirements:
Windows 98/2000/XP
CD-ROM
USB Port
Power outlet

Macintosh Requirements:
Mac 9.2
CD-ROM Drive
USB Port
Power outlet

This shows up on sale a lot at www.geeks.com (during their Moonlight Madness, Green Light Special, etc. sales).

In fact, it's only $10.99 right now.

One thing to be careful of with these adapters is the maximum disk size they support. A number of the cheap ones don't publish specs and this one is pretty vague (tested up to 250 gig). so, if you plan on using big drives, be careful out there.

I wish they listed the chipset, that's what is really important when it comes to these devices. I have a USB 2.0 -> IDE enclosure, and it's one of my favorite tools, so I definitely recommend looking into these. Did anyone notice that the label on the cable in the picture says "USB to 2.0 IDE".

Back