Used Digi Edgeport/8 on eBay.

A seller is offering several used Digi Edgeport/8 devices on eBay. $69.99 each including shipping via UPS or you can make an offer.

I've used a 4-port version of the Edgeport for about two years and it works very well. Software drivers are available from Digi's web-site.

I can attest that Digi quality is excellent (but expensive), so this is a very good deal. The cheap version of this card (Classic) cost me $400 in 2003. I think that the 4 ports version of this one was about $250 last year (not sure).
Anyway, I purchased 8 of these cards on 2003 and none of them died by last year when they were removed. We purchases several others last year and none have failed neither. The driver configuration is excellent. One peer purchased a Blackbox card and the configuration was a lot more complicated.

i had problems getting 1wire stuff to work on the edgeport (app would fatal). once i moved to the on board serial port it worked perfectly. also, my w800 works better with onboard or pci card serial ports. other than those 2 devices, i haven't found anything else that has problems with edgeports.

i had problems getting 1wire stuff to work on the edgeport (app would fatal). once i moved to the on board serial port it worked perfectly. also, my w800 works better with onboard or pci card serial ports. other than those 2 devices, i haven't found anything else that has problems with edgeports.
Odd, my w800 works perfectly with the Edgeport 8's that I have. I've yet to find any hardware that doesn't work with these devices interfaced to my HomeSeer server. I bought 3 of the 8's 3 years ago for $29 each used and they keep on ticking. These are a very good piece of hardware and with newer PC's not having com ports they are something to get when you have the chance.

... These are a very good piece of hardware and with newer PC's not having com ports they are something to get when you have the chance.
My situation described to a T. My HA server is an HP e-PC with one serial port, two USB ports, and no expansion slots. Newer "subcompact" PCs have many more USB ports but omit to include even one serial port. The Edgeport is a very convenient way of adding serial ports to connect thermostats, A/V equipment, lighting interfaces, weather stations, wireless PLC receivers (W800, MR26A), UPS, touchscreen interface, etc.

Back