Using a Russound CAM with a couple of CAVs

english_1969

I now have a couple of a russound CAVs up and running in my home.

I have come across a decent deal on a used CAM6.6.

I was wondering if someone could chime in on the pros and cons of adding this unit to my setup.

Firstly, I am not using the video portion of the CAV, I have no plans to either. (I use an Audio Authority Avatrix for that).

I've tried using the ABUS subzone to cover the remaining 4 areas and I'm just not happy with that arrangement. Neither is the wife.

I've read that the CAM and CAV (short of the video) are similar enough to be used in conjunction with one another (same RNET bus with looped audio signals).

I use Mainlobby for some control of my existing CAVs so I'm wondering if that will work with the CAM (from what I understand, it is more or less geared toward the CAV, so I'm not sure if it will even work).

Thoughts?

W

I've not tried this configuration before, but the CAM should expand your system from 12-18 zones without issue. Just extend RNET to it and run the source audio outputs from your 2nd CAV to the source inputs on the CAM. I think Party and all on/all off will work fine on all three units.

The thing that will muddy up the works here is if the CAM has an integrated tuner. If it does, you'd be able to pass the audio output from it back up to a source input on the pair of CAV6.6's, but I don't know if RNET control and feedback will work for the tuner from the CAV keypads?

EDIT: Mainlobby control of the CAM - The CAV & CAM share the same serial protocol so the Mainlobby plugin will control them all.

Cheers,
Paul

That is super!

Not sure if you recall, but I was asking questions about the number of units needed to support X zones several months ago (actually almost a year ago). We've now finished the house construction and I wrapping up the automation stuff, well, I'm at least finishing the audio and paging part.

At some point, I'll post my gallery of the house construction and automation aspects.

W

From what I have heard, the CAV feature that does not extend to CAM zones is the whole house paging as the CAM does not support it.

Back