Vizia switches are only one button toggle???

sorka

Richard at HomSeer mentioned this to me. I just figured the vizia paddle sutck out more on the bottom for ergonomics, but I can hardly believe Leviton would make a decora style switch with only discreet on/off control.

Just to clarify, vizia switches do not have up and down on and off depressors like the Act decora style z-wave switches. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It is the case and it's awesome. I love the way it feels. There is a seperate dim level button next to the main toggle button. You can actually set the dim level while the light is off. So you no longer have to blind your wife while you get up in the middle of the night to use the little boys room.

I like the feel of this switch so much that I am considering selling all of my existing switches to install these babys. Also, you know that unsightly tab that pulls out on all of the HomePro dimmers. The on that is for disconnecting power. Well you don't have that with the Leviton switches. Instead you just gently lift up the main switch and that disengages power. This is much easier than trying to pull that tab. (BTW...You should disconnect the power on these switches before changing the bulbs)

Also, you can set paramaters using your remote to control the Min and Max dim level and I think maybe even the ramp rate.

Finally, My favorite feature about these switches is the screwless faceplates. They look really clean. Check out my Z-Wave Living Column at zwaveword.com and scroll down to the bottom for a side by side comparison of the two switches. The images are not the best of quality but it's something.

I rate these switches a 10 of 10.

This is another reason the switches are awesome...
http://zwaveworld.com/new.php

What's New?

January 22, 2007

Leviton Licenses Its Two-Way Communication Technology
Leviton has licensed its two-way communication protocol for Z-Wave wireless home control networks to home automation software developers and hardware manufacturers. Three in particular - Lagotek, ControlThink, and HAI - will integrate the protocol into their product offerings.

As one of the features of its Vizia RF line of digital dimmers and switches, Leviton's two-way Z-Wave communications protocol indicates whether loads on a Z-Wave network are ON or OFF. This makes it possible for homeowners to find out if a home's security system is active, or if the thermostat at a vacation home is running to maintain the house in winter, when frozen pipes can have disastrous results. All functions can be monitored remotely via the internet, cell phone, or a PDA to verify the status of any home system.

Basically you will not need to poll these switches if you are using a program based off of the ControlThink PC SDK. This includes the new xPLZWave application(future release may be needed).

Squintz said:
This is another reason the switches are awesome...
http://zwaveworld.com/new.php

What's New?

January 22, 2007

Leviton has licensed its two-way communication protocol for Z-Wave wireless home control networks to home automation software developers and hardware manufacturers. Three in particular - Lagotek, ControlThink, and HAI - will integrate the protocol into their product offerings.

As one of the features of its Vizia RF line of digital dimmers and switches, Leviton's two-way Z-Wave communications protocol indicates whether loads on a Z-Wave network are ON or OFF. This makes it possible for homeowners to find out if a home's security system is active, or if the thermostat at a vacation home is running to maintain the house in winter, when frozen pipes can have disastrous results. All functions can be monitored remotely via the internet, cell phone, or a PDA to verify the status of any home system.

Basically you will not need to poll these switches if you are using a program based off of the ControlThink PC SDK. This includes the new xPLZWave application(future release may be needed).
OK, I'm confused. What abilities are we talking about that other switches like the HomePro don't have?

Status update is coming out on a lot of different switches, not just Leviton, right?

Also, regarding the faceplates: do you have to use the screwless? I'll have a number of locations with 4 gang plates. If I don't use all vizia but have say a standard mechanical decora switch, will I be able to mix vizia with them?

Squintz said:
What's New?

January 22, 2007

Im confused. Does this mean that one must use HAI, ControlThink or Lagotek to get two way communication from the Leviton switches?
If so, that blows.

prsmith777,

You get 2-way communication (i.e. full acknowledgement) using any Z-Wave devices. Certain devices also give real-time updates based on local load control. Leviton has the first set of light switches to come to market with this feature. We, for one, have licensed the technology so that tons of software on the market will be able to benefit from the feature.

Chris

ChrisWalker said:
We, for one, have licensed the technology so that tons of software on the market will be able to benefit from the feature.
Sorry for being ignorant, but I still dont get the licensing thing. These tons of software companies would buy your SDK to integrate the Leviton instant status, is that right?

Will ELK, CQC, MainLobby, Homeseer, etc. be able to take advantage of this? Thats my only concern here.

prsmith777 said:
ChrisWalker said:
We, for one, have licensed the technology so that tons of software on the market will be able to benefit from the feature.
Sorry for being ignorant, but I still dont get the licensing thing. These tons of software companies would buy your SDK to integrate the Leviton instant status, is that right?

Will ELK, CQC, MainLobby, Homeseer, etc. be able to take advantage of this? Thats my only concern here.
HomeSeer software is based on the official Zensys SDK and yes, we do support the instant status feature of these switches, as well as the Monster Cable switches (built by Leviton) and the ACT HomePro switches. FYI

-Mark

sorka said:
Also, regarding the faceplates: do you have to use the screwless? I'll have a number of locations with 4 gang plates. If I don't use all vizia but have say a standard mechanical decora switch, will I be able to mix vizia with them?
We have the switches in stock now. They come with white, almond and ivory paddle kits (trim plates not included). However, they will accept standard Leviton Decora trimplates. FYI

Mark

The screwless faceplates are general Leviton production items, and not specific to the Vizia line. You can get the single and double gang versions at Home Depot. Not sure about the triple gang, and for quad gang, you will have to go to Worthington or special order from a local electrical distributor.

I got my screwless plates (tripple gang) from AutomatedOutlet.com, I forgot what brand they were tho.

5 gang at onestopbuy
Last time I checked, LEviton makes them up to six gang. In multiple colors.

We have both the Leviton and Lightolier screwless (and with screws) trimplates.

Sorry Martin. I looked and didn't see the plates on the website, else I would have pointed everyone toward you.

Attention Everyone!

Buy your screwless faceplates from AO!
<_<

Back