Wall mounting a 3400/3500

Mike

One thing that occurred to me if a Fujitsu 3400/3500 were to be wall mounted:

How do you hide the power cable and do it in a way that it is up to code?

I don't think you can bury an outlet inside the wall. Would I have to run an extension or resplice the cable to make it run to the basement and then plug it in normally? I'm guessing there must be special requirements for this cabling as well, no?

I haven't even gotten mine setup to test, let alone wall mounting it, but I was thinking that through and was wondering how others have done this.

You are correct that you can not hide a box inside a wall. You can however chop the end of you power chord of and splice it inside one of the existing electrical boxes.

I dont know if that is "kosher" either. The line cord on a PS is not suitable for use in the wall (per my knowledge of the NEC). The secondary wire on the PS might be ok if its power limited or Class 2.

I plan on mounting mine as well (I have 2) and was looking at running the secondary wiring from the PS in the wall and putting the PS in a location that I could just plug it in. Since I was thinking of running a hardwired LAN connection anyway it was no big deal. If I go wireless on the LAN then I can just find a somewhat convienent source for the power.

I got lucky - on the other side of my existing wallmount, I have a closet with an A/C outlet. I just drilled through to the closet, and put the transformer in the closet, no resplicing necessary.

When my wife finally allows me to wallmount one in the den, I won't have that ability. That's when I was going to look into splicing as stated above. I was going to see if I could splice so that it's only romex through the walls, hence no code issues.

The wire between the AC/DC brick and the laptop is low voltage (16V).

Cut this wire in half, splice in an approved low-voltage in-wall wire, run this to your smart closed and splice back to the power supply.

No different than running low voltage to any other device (cameras, intercoms, alarm sensors, etc).

* Disclaimer - I am not a licensed electrician :unsure:

Jeff,

It is more of a question of available power. The concern is not so much a shock hazard (voltage) but a fire hazard (power). If its Power Limited or Class 2 then it is no different then the power to a keypad or motion sensor etc.

Well, I guess the way I did mine was not too kosher then. I always thought the rule was you could not bury a box in the wall and cover it up, but if you had easy access to it, it was ok. I guess having the TS and laptop wires going directly into the box are not cool either.

You have to check the NEC. The NEC has certian types of wire that can be used in a wall etc. Also when you hardwire into the box you are taking an SP, SP-2, SP-3 or an SJ etc. type wire and having it permanently connected and I think that may be an issue. Those types of cables are intended for portable or pendant usage.

I think its NEC Article 400 for Flexible Cords and Cables

A licensed Electrician or a Code Authority would be more knowledgeable than me.

400.7 Uses Permitted.
(A) Uses. Flexible cords and cables shall be used only for
the following:
(1) Pendants
(2) Wiring of luminaires (fixtures)
(3) Connection of portable lamps, portable and mobile
signs, or appliances
(4) Elevator cables
(5) Wiring of cranes and hoists
(6) Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent
interchange
(7) Prevention of the transmission of noise or vibration
(8) Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical
connections are specifically designed to permit
ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the
appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord
connection
(9) Data processing cables as permitted by 645.5
(10) Connection of moving parts
(11) Temporary wiring as permitted in 527.4( B ) and
527.4©

( B ) Attachment Plugs. Where used as permitted in
400.7(A)(3), (A)(6), and (A)(8), each flexible cord shall be
equipped with an attachment plug and shall be energized
from a receptacle outlet.
Exception: As permitted in 368.8.

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings,
suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar
openings
(4) Where attached to building surfaces
Exception: Flexible cord and cable shall be permitted to
be attached to building surfaces in accordance with the
provisions of 368.8.
(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located
above suspended or dropped ceilings
(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise

Again I am no expert but I THINK it may be something a Code Authority would be concerned with.

If the output is Class 2 then the output wire is ok to be inside the wall. The primary wire (the AC In) should not be in the wall or harwired to the box that way per the NEC from the way I read it.

In all honesty dont think your house will burn down or anything because its not likely (anything is possible). I have seen lots worse.

Back