Water Detection using NX-458 and Leaf Wetness Sensor

jwilson56

Well I have read that some people have used the Leaf Wetness Sensor with the DS10a sensor with success so I decided I would try this with a GE wireless sensor that I use with the Elk I have. So BSR was gracious enough to send me a Leaf Wetness Sensor board to test it out and I have to report that it works great with either a NX-458 or the NX-650 I have tested in on.

Below is a picture of one of the NX-458 sensors that was given to me by a Cocoontech member after he tore it out of his window and damaged the outer case. I figured it would serve me well using it as a water sensor for my aging water pump that is on my high efficiency furnace (there is no floor drain near by so they ran a tube to the laundry room). I am going to mount the Leaf Wetness Sensor on the floor near the outside of the pump so that if it fails I will be notified.

Just be careful when soldering the wires across the reed switch. The NX-650 is much easier as it supports external connections. One nice thing about using the GE sensor this way is that they use Lithium batteries so it will last a long time in this application. Also they are monitored as well so will warn you when there is a problem with the sensor. I have it set up to do a voice announcement in the house, an email to myself as well as a text page to my cell phone.

I tested the Leaf Wetness Sensor several times with varying amounts of water and it seemed very responsive. I had to wipe the board dry fairly well to get it back its non water state. I will let you know if I run into any problems down the road.

Attachments

• NX_458_wired.jpg
    NX_458_wired.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 94
Back