water sensor in powder room/masterbath

v1rtu0s1ty

Senior Member
usually, where is the ideal location of water sensor if only putting one in the powder room, behind/underneath the tank bowl or sink pedestal?

what about in master bath, I've got a doublesink, bowl, shower and tub?

Thanks guys for your continued help.

I will be taking pictures of everything! :D
 

Paul

Active Member
wherever you feel like there'd first be water. Its one of those things that you'll have to adapt to your situation
 

v1rtu0s1ty

Senior Member
toymaster458 said:
Pour some water on the floor and see where it goes.
:D I'm still on the pre drywall stage. No vinyl floors yet. But I get the idea :D Can we put 2 sensors using same 22/2 wires but in parallel? That means they will be in the same zone.
 

Digger

Senior Member
If you have a vanity then put one inside each. With Pedastal sinks, toilet, and tub/ shower you have to find the lowest point in the room in my opinion.

I put one under my kitchen sink as well.

I believe you can parallel most water sensors. They are fairly cheap if you shop around. I bought some on ebay for $6.00 a while back that were new in sealed packaging.

Dont forget by your dishwasher, washing machine, hot water heater etc.
 

v1rtu0s1ty

Senior Member
Digger said:
If you have a vanity then put one inside each. With Pedastal sinks, toilet, and tub/ shower you have to find the lowest point in the room in my opinion.

I put one under my kitchen sink as well.

I believe you can parallel most water sensors. They are fairly cheap if you shop around. I bought some on ebay for $6.00 a while back that were new in sealed packaging.

Dont forget by your dishwasher, washing machine, hot water heater etc.
And am I correct that water sensors also use 2 conductors right?

I actually need your expertise on the kitchen sink. Right now, there are on cabinets yet. Plumbing has been done. I can put wire now. However, when they install the cabinets, that wire will be covered. What is the work around for this?

Should I tell the cabinet installer to drill a 2/8 hole and pull the wire?
 

BraveSirRobbin

Moderator
v1rtu0s1ty said:
Can we put 2 sensors using same 22/2 wires but in parallel? That means they will be in the same zone.
What kind of water sensors are you getting? If they have contacts that open or close when water is detected I believe you want to put them in "series" if you are sharing a zone with both of them (sort of on the same lines of having two window contacts on one zone).
 

v1rtu0s1ty

Senior Member
BraveSirRobbin said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
Can we put 2 sensors using same 22/2 wires but in parallel? That means they will be in the same zone.
What kind of water sensors are you getting? If they have contacts that open or close when water is detected I believe you want to put them in "series" if you are sharing a zone with both of them (sort of on the same lines of having two window contacts on one zone).
Can you please recommend a water sensor? And does it use 22/2? I'm just thinking of putting 2 water sensors in master bath and not have to worry about putting them in series. I might get confused. :D

Thanks.
 

v1rtu0s1ty

Senior Member
Now, I have a different scenario for the kitchen. I can put wire under the sink and under the dishwasher. However, it will be covered by the cabinets once they install it. Should I inform the installer to create a 2/8" hole and pull the wire I have installed previously from that hole? This way, I won't have to do trial and error making drilling a hole.

From what I've seen in google, water sensors are just placed on a flat surface and that's about it. Am I correct?
 

BraveSirRobbin

Moderator
I re-read my response and what I should have said is it all depends if your contacts open or close with a presence to water for chosing to wire in series or parallel.

I did reviews on some water detectors during the last ISC 2006 West Security Expo. You may want to browse over there.
 

toymaster458

Active Member
install a mud ring and tell him that outlet needs to go through the cabinet as well.
Then when you terminate use a blank faceplate and drill a small hole in the center for the wire to go through. That way the connection to the pigtail that comes off the sensor and connected to the wire is hidden in the wall behind an accessable face plate.
 

v1rtu0s1ty

Senior Member
toymaster458 said:
install a mud ring and tell him that outlet needs to go through the cabinet as well.
Then when you terminate use a blank faceplate and drill a small hole in the center for the wire to go through. That way the connection to the pigtail that comes off the sensor and connected to the wire is hidden in the wall behind an accessable face plate.
Is this the mud ring you are talking about?

mudring.jpg
 

v1rtu0s1ty

Senior Member
BraveSirRobbin said:
I re-read my response and what I should have said is it all depends if your contacts open or close with a presence to water for chosing to wire in series or parallel.

I did reviews on some water detectors during the last ISC 2006 West Security Expo. You may want to browse over there.
Maybe this would help me explain it better. I will be running a 22/4 and separating the 4 conductors into 2. This way I can have 2 water sensors, one under the sink and one under the dishwasher. So is there a 2 conductor water sensor?
 

toymaster458

Active Member
Water Sensors that I have seen require power so all four wires are needed at each sensor.

And yes that is the Mud ring I was talking about.
 

v1rtu0s1ty

Senior Member
toymaster458 said:
Water Sensors that I have seen require power so all four wires are needed at each sensor.

And yes that is the Mud ring I was talking about.
Thanks toymaster. I will not split my 22/4 then. :) I will run dedicated for both the sink and dishwasher.
 
Top