water sensor installation location

v1rtu0s1ty

Hi guys, I'm very close to installing wires. I just need to know how you installed water sensor in cabinet under faucet, bathroom,etc. I'm more of a visual person. :) This way, I will know how much wire I need to extend. Location suggestion is also welcome.

Someone also recommended to me before a $80 shutoff valve kit. Can someone please send me a link to this device.

Thanks,

Neil

I used a watercop that Stinger had been nice enough to pick up at a discount and pass along the savings. It works great. They are all gone now though (available from Smarthome)

There are whole house valves that can be controlled by the ELK for about $80 or so out there if you look. I would go that way if it was me since its all you need no fancy bells and whistles). I have my ELK programmed to announce when the water is off and email my cell phone etc. Make the flood sensors "non alarm zones" otherwise the siren will go off when you have a flood.

If you have Gas for heat etc they also make a valve for shutting off the gas but that about $300. You could always add that later.

BTW if the washing machine flood sensor goes off you could set up the system to shutoff the washer in case its the drain and not the feed. I will be doing that after learning the hard way (will use an Insteon Appliance link).

Digger said:
BTW if the washing machine flood sensor goes off you could set up the system to shutoff the washer in case its the drain and not the feed. I will be doing that after learning the hard way (will use an Insteon Appliance link).
Now that is a GREAT idea! :)

Its only June and I used up almost all of my great idea allotment for the year. Now what will I do for the rest of the year?????

Digger said:
Its only June and I used up almost all of my great idea allotment for the year. Now what will I do for the rest of the year?????
Oh my goodness, I didn't realize this! You must stop all activities and rest for the remainder of the day so new ideas can "flow" into your mind, thus enabling you to contribute with this same quality level and ingenuity to our forum... :)

Digger said:
There are whole house valves that can be controlled by the ELK for about $80 or so out there if you look. I would go that way if it was me since its all you need no fancy bells and whistles). I have my ELK programmed to announce when the water is off and email my cell phone etc.
I don't know if you have read my other email regarding not installing smoke sensors anymore. I had a question there that since I'm not installing smoke sensors anymore, I really don't need to install the speaker/siren. When you said, "ELK programmed to announce .....", are you using the speaker/siren to announce or different speaker? This way, I will know if I still need to buy ELK speaker/siren.

Make the flood sensors "non alarm zones" otherwise the siren will go off when you have a flood.
Ok.

If you have Gas for heat etc they also make a valve for shutting off the gas but that about $300. You could always add that later.
Will do in the future.
Is the washing machine flood sensor you are talking about a flood sensor that's just built for washing machine or are you referring to the standard flood sensors? If not what sensor could that be? This is a very neat idea! :)

Thanks! Keep 'em coming. :p

Use a speaker/siren to get teh voice announcements etc.

The flood sensor by the washing machine can be on a seperate zone. If that zone trips have a rule to shut down the Insteon Appliance link that the washer is plugged into shutting it down. This way if its the drain it does not continue pumping water out.

The above will cost about $40 extra for the appliance link but to me tis worth it.

I like cheap add ons that make the system that much more practical.

Digger said:
Use a speaker/siren to get teh voice announcements etc.

The flood sensor by the washing machine can be on a seperate zone. If that zone trips have a rule to shut down the Insteon Appliance link that the washer is plugged into shutting it down. This way if its the drain it does not continue pumping water out.

The above will cost about $40 extra for the appliance link but to me tis worth it.

I like cheap add ons that make the system that much more practical.
BAM! I got it. :)

Very cool idea!

Is it bad to have different protocols on powerlines such as the one being used by Insteon and the other one is UPB?

Back