Web cam with optical zoom or narrow view?

JimS

Have been helping a group out with a skype link of a lecture and having lots of trouble with various variations of ipads. I am not an apple guy but apparently some do not allow external audio and shutting off the internal mic so we get all sorts of audience noise (coughing, etc) and get an echo and generally mushy audio that is very hard to listen to. They also want to position the camera back some distance so they need a telephoto lens. I am thinking a PC would allow control of the audio input and a web cam could get the video. Any decent web cams available for reasonable cost (say about $200 or less). I have seen some but more like $800. I am also open to other suggestions.

The audio is what is giving us the most trouble. Perhaps we could stream the audio with a PC and just use skype for the video (which is not great but acceptable. With a PC we could use the input from the rooms audio panel which has great audio. If we go this route we would need someone on that end with a PC. Anyone recommend a good audio streaming program for windows or mac? BTW, I am on the receiving end of the link.

Personally here utilize a Logitech web cam and it's been fine for many years. 

Looking at their stuff see the Logitech BCC950.

logitech.jpg

Highlights
  • Uses desktop video applications
  • Remote control your meetings
  • Carl Zeiss optics with autofocus
  • Show your best angle
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Overview

The Logitech® BCC950 ConferenceCam combines HD 1080p 30 fps video with high-quality full-duplex speakerphone clarity for professional video conferencing. This cam features the UVC H.264 onboard technology which helps to ensure plug-and-play functionality on both PCs and Macs, with no software to install. Also, you can easily control your meetings with the remote - answer/end calls, set volume up/down, pan, tilt, zoom and mute. Plus, the built-in, full duplex speakerphone and noise-cancelling microphone allow all meeting members to hear and be heard clearly up to 8-feet away from the base. Additionally, its camera height extender and 8-foot USB cable allows you to adjust camera height and distance for the flattering video angles so they can make the fine impression during meetings. Furthermore, a 78-degree field of view and 180-degree remote-controlled video pan, tilt, zoom ensures each member of the small group is seen. Enjoy razor-sharp images from a glass lens designed with the help of Carl Zeiss® allowing detailed documents, whiteboards, or visuals to be shared close up during calls. Moreover, the omni-directional sound and echo cancellation audio makes it seems like conversations are happening in the same room. With all these features and more, this ConferenceCam is an ideal way for professionals to meet face-to-face, without leaving the desk.

Manufacturer Part# : 960-000866

Relating to audio here been using Virtual Cable for many years.  It is sort of a virtual mixer.  You can redirect sound with it.

It creates virtual audio cards and let you route sound from outputs to inputs using virtual cables.

Here is a bunch of free streaming audio software.

Five Best Personal Media Streaming Tools

Back