webcam software feature matrix

That card seems to be an EXCELLENT buy. Be sure to give us a review when you get it set up.

It appears it also comes with the Kodicom software. I have been reading in the forum that the Kodicom software appears to be superior to the Active WebCam especially since it put a lot less stress on the CPU. AWC can reach 90% to 100% and those using Kodicom say their CPU usage is more around 20%.

If it come with the Kodicom software, let us know if it installs properly or if you need additional software. There are links in the forum for the server, site and other software downloads for Kodicom.

jeffx said:
jeffx said:
AutomatedOutlet said:
This is what I'm getting ready to instal:

http://dbs.mywebstand.com/VisionTech/produ...s/WebVISION.pdf

I signed the distribution agreement a couple of months ago with Visiontech but have been waiting until my new office is finished being built.

This box also has built into it it's own processor with operating system & web server - no PC required. I thought it would be good to off-load this function from any of my PCs. It plugs directly into my network. I think it will be great.
Martin, have you set this up yet? This is an option I am also considering but would like to hear your feedback first. I see your price has dropped to $424!
Martin set me up with a Webvision4 for only $350 (his last one)! I should receive it and have it set up by next weekend and will post brief review with screen shots.

I like Active Webcam, but it is just way too processor and memory hungry (40-60% on a P4 2.8 HT system and over 1 GB of system memory in use w/ only 2 cameras configured). It also was consistently locking up on me.
I see that Martin still has this in stock and it looks like it may meet my needs. Does anyone have this setup anywhere where I could take a look at the remote interface?

Thanks,

Has anyone tried Argus DVR? It appears to be made by the same developers of ActiveWebCam and looks like an entirely browser-based version of that app. I've been evaluating it for a week now and really like it. Since it is browser based you can not only view the cameras remotely, but you can also configure the entire server remotely. It also seems to be less CPU intensive then ActiveWebCam on my machine.

I looked at Argus and a nice piece of work. I love that you get it all via the web, but it seems lacking in a few regards.

A while back I had used Active Web Cam, however I can't recall if there is a way to trigger recording from an external source? IE: If the Elk see's an alarm how can I get the system to start recording (or FTPing)?

I'm running Homeseer as well if that helps......

You can add the Axis Camera Station software to the list.

http://www.axis.com/products/video/software/

Although I've not been able to get the Web Interface to work on WinXP, the ACS Server and Client package seems to work very well. The best $$ I've seen on a 4 Camera license pack is $584.83.
I would download a trial of WebCamXP Pro and see if it would work with my Axis cameras before plunking down that kind of money (WebCamXP Pro is $80 and can interface to 100 cameras of a lot of types, including IP). I believe it also has all the other features, but again, not sure.

Thats the case with all quality PCI encoder cards, it's really the Via chipsets that can't handle it. Some Sis work however I always poin towards Intel as they always work.

EDIT: Also Dan said that 2 years ago, I wonder if he still has the same sentiment. ;)

Ok, so for you guys doing this on the cheap and been doing it for a while: Is Active WebCam still the "winner". I looked at Argus and nice, but not quite what I needed. I think Active is going to win here....

Probably depends on the cam you have, if it is USB then I would assume a webcam app would be well ahead.

If you want to use cheaper analog cameras there are hybrid hardware solutions in that price range.

Might look at Avermedia's NV3000.

Back