webcam software feature matrix

How is "Motion" on CPU usage? If it is more reasonable than Active Webcam on Windows XP, I might consider installing an instance of Linux on my HA PC (running along side Windows XP using Microsoft Virtual Server).

Also, got the 8 port 240FPS capture card (the blue one with the heat sinks) from another eBay seller and am loving it!

Hey y'all!
Glad I found this forum... right up my alley!
Unfortunately before I found this forum, I've burned through a lot of money on bad cameras from ebay, DVR cards, and USB video adapters. I didn't set up any cameras in this new house I moved into, but this weekend, some jackass stole my lawnmower from my shed in the backyard. So now I am trying to set up a new system again.

I've been using Blueiris as my security DVR software, and I have been pretty happy with it. I haven't tried the pysoft software, but it appears that blue iris has similar functionality, and is very affordable.

http://www.blueirissoftware.com/home.shtml

Hi hgupta1, welcome to CocoonTech!

I looked at the site, but I don't see any screenshots of the setup interface. Active Webcam allows you to configure many aspects of the motion detection algorithm, which is what makes it a winner for me, can you post more details? Either way, looks like a good & affordable software package, so I will definitely add it to the list when I redo the webcam matrix (very soon).

I have posted links somewhere, but since I am working on this, you aren't missing out on much right now. It will be back up soon.

PS: You could also try to swallow the red pill ;)

jeffx said:
How is "Motion" on CPU usage? If it is more reasonable than Active Webcam on Windows XP, I might consider installing an instance of Linux on my HA PC (running along side Windows XP using Microsoft Virtual Server).

Also, got the 8 port 240FPS capture card (the blue one with the heat sinks) from another eBay seller and am loving it!
Jeff, using Microsoft Virtual Server will sap the CPU advantage out of running Motion on a lean, clean Linux machine. ;)

[strike]Do you have a brand, model, or link for the "blue one with the heat sinks?"[/strike]
Update: I RTFT (Reread This Fine Thread) and got the links.

Thanks.

electron said:
I looked at the site, but I don't see any screenshots of the setup interface. Active Webcam allows you to configure many aspects of the motion detection algorithm, which is what makes it a winner for me, can you post more details?
Here are some screen shots of the setup interface. Blue iris also lets you configure much of the motion detection. I really like that you can mask out portions of the camera image (like the street) that have motion that you do not want to capture by blacking out part of the image.

post.jpg

mask.jpg

motionscreenshot.jpg

Support is so-so. I haven't had any trouble with the software, but there are no forums that I know of. The programmer has been quick to reply to my e-mails.

I haven't played with active webcam yet. So I can't tell you which one is better. I already purchased a blueiris license before I knew about active webcam, and although I want the best software, I have to watch my wallet, and may have to make do with blue iris until I have enough money to feel okay buying a different program.

There is one feature that I have been looking for in a security software: I would love for the software to have a client application that runs on other computers in the house that would pop open a window when motion has been detected. Right now we use a windows MCE box for watching tv, and it would be great if a pop up window would open up when motion has been detected since the tv seems to be running all time anyways. I'll switch software in a second if this feature was available!

Active Webcam (and most camera security packages) can execute a command when motion is detected, so it shouldn't be hard to do. You might have to use something like YaC (free) or Girder. I personally have my TV switch to twin view (tv & camera view) whenever there is motion detected, or whenever the garage door opens/closes.

and it would be great if a pop up window would open up when motion has been detected since the tv seems to be running all time anyways. I'll switch software in a second if this feature was available!
You sure? You'll have to switch a lot of software... like your operating system software... ;)

I set something similar up for a client using Motion. When the camera detected motion, it sent the IR codes to turn the PIP window on and set it to the modulated camera channel. He already had an automation PC running linux and an IR distribution system in place, so the hardware part was easy.

I have been looking for the BEST camera software to use also. I found this one which seems very powerful and similar to Active WebCam It is EZwatch Pro

http://www.ezwatchstore.com/livedemo/

They also have all the hardware you need to like the DVR cards in 8 by 240f/s and 4 by 120f/s. They also have camera and the packages can be customized to your need.

Has any tried this software or have any thoughts on how it compares to Active WebCam?

I bought one of these a few days ago but haven't received it yet. The link I post here may only be good for 90 days so after I paste it I will go get the sellers ebay store link also.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5823259662

and the store:
http://stores.ebay.com/Aarons-X-10-Heaven_...storeviewQQtZkm

It appears to be the same card talked about in previous posts.
I have been a AWC Deluxe user for a couple years and highly recommend it!
To anyone reading this today, Happy Thanksgiving

Thanks for the links. I asked Martin from AutomatedOutlet.com to see if he can get a hold of these cards, since many people seem to like these cards (including myself).

Back