WebControl: $35 Web- and email-enabled data acquisition and control

Hi Pete, much obliged. I'll have a read up on that thread and come back to you.

I am happy to transfer the funds to you to enable the purchase on behalf.

edit: hmmm, looks like some issues currently with this product. i wanted to use it for 1-wire interfacing as well, so I may hold off until a resolution is found.

Thanks agian
Andrew

Macca,

I have been testing the board now for about a week. There are some concerns with the documented voltage outputs and 1-wire temperature devices functions as described. Have a look at this thread relating to both the HW and software that is being currently used.

HS Forum WebControl thread

This said I have no problems purchasing and sending you one from Amazon. I would wait a bit yet though.

-pete

Hello.
I present our first application of the CaiNetworks Webserver.
The program is implemented in php and flash. It is a small project for a home automation.
We use the card with firmware 2.03.03.
The sensors are temperature and humidity DS18B20 the HI4000. The two are working properly. All purchased on eBay.
Hope you like it and I like to see a project done for you for more ideas.
Sorry for the language, since I am Spanish and this is translated by Google Translate. :lol:
Here the videos You Tube:
DtcY4KamCAA
k0XZIGIV80
Spanish:
Hola.
Os presento nuestra primera aplicación con el Webserver de CaiNetworks.
El programa está realizado en php y flash. Es un pequeño proyecto para climatización de una vivienda.
Utilizamos la tarjeta con el firmware 2.03.03.
Los sensores de temperatura son DS18B20 y el de humedad el HI4000. Los dos funcionan correctamente. Todos comprados en eBay.
Espero que os guste y que aportéis algún proyecto realizado por vosotros para tener más ideas.
Perdón por el idioma, ya que soy español y esto está traducido por Google Translate.
Aquí los videos en Youtube:
DtcY4KamCAA
Ik0XZIGIV80

Howdy,
I successfully talked my wife into getting me one for Christmas. I finally got around to trying to set it up.
FW v02.03.02
7.5V regulated supply
red LED constant, green LED flashes at various frequencies.

I'm having trouble getting it onto the network. The only time I can communicate with it is by direct-connect (cross-over) wire. I changed all the network settings for my home network (DSL modem/router, Netgear WiFi router, 2 gigabit switches, about 8 computers, couple of servers and NAS, and printers - all DHCP). The unit must have at least once acquired DHCP address since it has the correct DNS (primary and secondary) servers' IP addresses (which I never entered).

But, when I boot the unit connected to the rest of the network (or switch the network cable after it is working in standalone mode), it gets the DHCP server assigned IP address (happens to be that same as it's default) 192.168.1.15. Router (w/DHCP server) shows it as attached device (and even shows the special name I gave it). But it won't respond to a ping nor any web browser access. Just times out.

The network connector's LAN-connection LED is constant green, but the corresponding LED on the (DLink DGS-2205) switch shows that a computer is connected, but does not show either yellow (for 100mbps) nor green (for gigabit). I've tried multiple ports and cables - same behavior. Or lack of behavior. So far the only way I can access it is from a single computer disconnected from the networked - not a very useful network device in this mode...

The yellow LAN activity LED does flicker on occasion, but no communication.

Does anyone have any suggestion? From what I can tell, it should be operational. The only anomaly is the lack of link-speed indicator, which could mean an issue with the network adapter on the board. Hmm, when the board is communicating in when direct-connected to a single computer, the web pages load in spurts. It takes a long time for all of the icons on the bottom menu of the main page to appear - some now, some later, etc. Do I have a defective board???

Thank you.

Jim

Howdy,
I successfully talked my wife into getting me one for Christmas. I finally got around to trying to set it up.
FW v02.03.02
7.5V regulated supply
red LED constant, green LED flashes at various frequencies.

Apparently the very act of writing up the issue has resolved it.

The unit is now working and behaving just fine!

Now I'll just re-read you other posts about getting humidity and temp sensors working properly...

Jim

Apparently the very act of writing up the issue has resolved it.

The unit is now working and behaving just fine!

Hmm, (and sorry for responding repeatedly to my own posts...), I did disable DHCP and now the unit works. I have no problem leaving it with a static IP address.

Jim

There is also a good discussion on the Homeseer Message Board about the sensors. The bottom line is that the unit is sensitive to production lot of DS18B20 sensor. Also be careful not to get the parasitic powered DS18B20. You can make some modifications to the board to deal with remotely located sensors and also supply local 5V at the remote locations for the temperature sensors. The humidity does not appear to have the same issues once the sensor has stabilized in service.

Personally the board has potential.

I would prefer though that the board itself provide the local 5V to the remote temperature sensors or be an all in one solution (board, PS, temp and humidity sensors only - no additional PS or "power injecting" for the remote temperature sensors.

Personally the board has potential.

I would prefer though that the board itself provide the local 5V to the remote temperature sensors or be an all in one solution (board, PS, temp and humidity sensors only - no additional PS or "power injecting" for the remote temperature sensors.

The DS18B20 looks to be sensitive to the input voltage when used in the simple interface mode that CAI is using. This means that one needs to be concerned about the voltage drop over the length of wire between the 5V source and the sensor. I have four different production lots of DS18B20's that I have tried. The most recent one I obtained on a recent ebay purchase does not work at all and I suspectg it is actually a -PAR device. I have one lot that tracks very nicely with other sensors that use a DS9097U interface in parasitic mode. I have two lots that produce unreliable results. Typically too high of a reading unless locally injected and then sometimes locks up when injected. I have tried both mods to increase the DQ midpoint and the Vdd and these did not make as much difference as changing the sensor. I suspect that a redesign to accomodate the parasitic power mode is not being planned by CAI so one's success will depend upon the DS18B20 they happen to have.

What would your recommendations be regarding physical placement of the device in order to using the digital to analogue controls? Near or adjacent source?

Hi evreybody!
Not that easy to find a forum about Cai Webcontrol!

I have got mine a few months ago but began to play with it for about a week.
I encountered a few problems, I feel unable to solve:
a) Between pin 1 and 3 of the humidity sensor conector I should have 5v, but get 0v!
;) In spite the email parameters seems correct, no mail is received when the statu of of a TTL output change (I tried with gmail and yahoo)

I noticed a strange thing: the value of A1 A2 and A3 is not systematically 0.
Of course nothing is connected on those analogic inputs.

Has anybody any suggestion?

Typical problem encountered with the connectors is that legs/wires are not captured by the screws, but under them where no contact is made. You need to be careful what you are probing to make your Humidity voltage measurement.

xapmcsWebControl implements an SMTP server to receive event notification from the WebControl. This bypasses issues you may have with account access on a Web server.

Check your regulator on the board to assess if you are gettng 5V through it.

Typical problem encountered with the connectors is that legs/wires are not captured by the screws, but under them where no contact is made. You need to be careful what you are probing to make your Humidity voltage measurement.

xapmcsWebControl implements an SMTP server to receive event notification from the WebControl. This bypasses issues you may have with account access on a Web server.

Check your regulator on the board to assess if you are gettng 5V through it.
Tks for your answer
It's Ok for the connectors.
As to use xapmcsWebControl, it is not for me a solution since I want to use WebControl without any computer linked on the LAN.

My suggestion with xapmcsWebControl is that it could be used for testing your email capabilities from WebControl as it not burden with account setup and ISP restrictions.

My suggestion with xapmcsWebControl is that it could be used for testing your email capabilities from WebControl as it not burden with account setup and ISP restrictions.
ok I will try that, but as far as I know, there is no ISPrestriction since a) my ISP don't provide any email account ;) I can send emails via C# programs without any problem (but using an SSL option that doesn't exist in webcontrol parameters!)

last minute: it works when using an email that doesn't require SSL (I tried sucsessfully using inMail.com)

Check out the detail on the thread relating to testing with the Webcontrol - it was kind of buried some in HS forums.

I sent my board back to be modified - but you can modify it yourself in that it was only moving a supply voltage.

WebControl

Back