Weird problem with 3M M150 MicroTouch touch screen

Kaoru

Hi,

I'm at wits end so I decided to post this to see if anyone has seen a problem like this. Here's the problem: I have a freshly installed Asus M2NPV-VM AMD Athlon64 X2 running Windows XP Professional SP3. ONLY core drivers are loaded and all power management is turned off. The computer is my CQC Master Server and that is the extent of software loaded. The computer is connected to a Black Box VGA extender (where the local monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster) to the in wall 3M M150 MicroTouch touch screen (EXII series SERIAL controller). The touch controller is connected to the computer via a Cables To Go USB to Serial SuperBooster extender. The computer is running the latest MicroTouch software MT 7.12 build 6.

IT WORKS for more than a few hours. Screen saver, no screen saver, it doesn't matter the touch screen works. Then out of the blue, the touch controller stops talking/working. The monitor is still good and I can go to the computer and use like normal but the touch screen does not respond. The MT control panel's first tab (shows status) is greyed out. If I disconnect the USB cable (which is the same root hub used for the mouse and keyboard) and reconnect it the touch screen is found again and begins working. I don't know where the problem lies. My last test is to connect the MicroTouch directly to the computer's serial port (I left this to last since I have to remove the touchscreen out of the wall; doable but a PIA. Anybody have a suggestion/advice or even heard of such a problem?

Cheers,
Kaoru

Hi,

I'm at wits end so I decided to post this to see if anyone has seen a problem like this. Here's the problem: I have a freshly installed Asus M2NPV-VM AMD Athlon64 X2 running Windows XP Professional SP3. ONLY core drivers are loaded and all power management is turned off. The computer is my CQC Master Server and that is the extent of software loaded. The computer is connected to a Black Box VGA extender (where the local monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster) to the in wall 3M M150 MicroTouch touch screen (EXII series SERIAL controller). The touch controller is connected to the computer via a Cables To Go USB to Serial SuperBooster extender. The computer is running the latest MicroTouch software MT 7.12 build 6.

IT WORKS for more than a few hours. Screen saver, no screen saver, it doesn't matter the touch screen works. Then out of the blue, the touch controller stops talking/working. The monitor is still good and I can go to the computer and use like normal but the touch screen does not respond. The MT control panel's first tab (shows status) is greyed out. If I disconnect the USB cable (which is the same root hub used for the mouse and keyboard) and reconnect it the touch screen is found again and begins working. I don't know where the problem lies. My last test is to connect the MicroTouch directly to the computer's serial port (I left this to last since I have to remove the touchscreen out of the wall; doable but a PIA. Anybody have a suggestion/advice or even heard of such a problem?

Cheers,
Kaoru

sounds like the computer is allowing the device to go to sleep to save power. You might check the power setting for the Root USB Hub in the device manager.

If you cannot find any power settings (which is a great suggestion), then perhaps there is something going on with the USB extender doing something similar.

Back