What do I need?

compuguru

I recently moved into my new house, but now my HA computer cannot control some of the lights. Now I am trying to decide if I need a coupler or a booster. I cannot use those plugin couplers because our dryer is gas powered. It uses a standard outlet.

So, should I get a coupler, or booster?

When i asked the same question i was told that using a coupler is a hit or miss situation. Using a Active coupler/repeater is more reliable. I went against what everyone else said and bought a passive coupler anyways. It does not work for my house. So i would recomend that you get an Active Coupler/Repeater.

I also read recently that someone used a simple .1uf Capacitor rated at 1000v and it worked flawlessly. I read that on the HomeSeer site somewhere. You can pick up a capacitor like that at radio shack or another local electronics supply store. I would search for the thread on HomeSeer before you try it tho. Make you your get all the facts right. It had pictures in the thread so you can see how it was done. The Capacitor is the cheap way to go. $2

compuguru,

The way I found out for sure I had a problem between the two legs of power was to turn on my oven and then try the lights. The oven joined the two phases and thus allowed X10 signals to pass. I ended up with an active coupler wired to my electric panel.

S

HCA-02 for me as well. I haven't had a single X10 signal problem since I installed my coupler/repeater.

Due to prior threads a long time ago, all I'll say is that the ACT coupler/repeater is one that most professional instalers use and recommend.

Due to prior threads a long time ago, all I'll say is that the ACT coupler/repeater is one that most professional instalers use and recommend.

ARGHHHH.... (sound of someone biting his tongue)....OW! :lol:

Well, I went ahead with the HCA-02, because it was recommened by the majority of people here, and was a cheaper. So far, I am very pleased. The signal is now reaching every where in my house. Thanks for the recommendation.

Back