What does code require for low voltage, especially between floors?

wkearney99

We're building a new house and I'm likely going to pull my own wire for all the low voltage stuff.  I'll need to pull a permit for it as the builder won't let me do the work without one.  That's understandable, as some builders won't even let you do anything; permit or not.  So before I suffer the byzantine process of dealing with county (montgomery county in maryland) can someone give me a rough idea of what they want to see?

I'll be pulling all of it down to the basement.  All spaces are conditioned.  

I'll likely installing
3 CAT6 and 2 coax to TV locations (HDMI matrix, ethernet and TV).  
1 CAT6 and 4-wire in-wall speaker to wall control locations for whole house audio (and up to ceiling speakers from there)  
2 CAT6 to computer specific locations (desks)

I'm debating whether or not to install wiring for security or not.

Anyone have pointers on where to start for preparing to request a permit?

Honestly, all jurisdictions are different; I strongly advice spending a few minutes talking to the inspector ahead of time to ask what they expect to see.  There are some basics - like when to fire-caulk your holes; what height the holes should be at for horizontal runs; if going between floors, there generally needs to be fire caulking/fire breaks and not just open chutes (though some jurisdictions just don't care)...  You'll only know if you ask.  Also, follow the electricians' lead and talk to them if you have an opportunity.

You also have to watch what studs you drill through for your wire runs as some are considered critical and can not be touched (at least in my zone).  We just followed the high voltage electrical wiring runs (not next to, but stayed away from any studs, braces, headers that they did not drill through) as he was licensed (and knew which ones not to touch).

It's a good idea to wait for the HV wiring to go in anyways, so you know how/where to run your LV so it doesn't get any interference from them.

Yes, the assumption is the LV goes in after the regular AC has already been installed.  Pretty much as the last thing that gets done before drywall.

From what I've managed to learn I can get a permit as the homeowner, but only if I pass a test first.  $40 for the test and then another $99 for the permit.  It's apparently an open-book test so it shouldn't be any great challenge to pass.  

I'm awaiting a quote from the folks likely doing our Lutron Radio RA2 setup, for both that and the LV cabling.  We'll see what their numbers look like before I go taking tests...

wkearney99 said:
Yes, the assumption is the LV goes in after the regular AC has already been installed.  Pretty much as the last thing that gets done before drywall.

From what I've managed to learn I can get a permit as the homeowner, but only if I pass a test first.  $40 for the test and then another $99 for the permit.  It's apparently an open-book test so it shouldn't be any great challenge to pass.  

I'm awaiting a quote from the folks likely doing our Lutron Radio RA2 setup, for both that and the LV cabling.  We'll see what their numbers look like before I go taking tests...
Curious where you live.  I have never lived anywhere that a howeowner was required to demonstrate any knowledge or skill to work on their own home.  Only that once completed, the inspector OK's it.

You know Lou, I was starting to thing the same thing.  As long as you passed inspection it should be ok.

It would be nice to get a second opinion on the permit needs, maybe from the inspector's office themselves?

Wonder if you are getting a run-around just so you are 'forced' to use a contractor?

Lou,

In St. Louis area they require a similar thing for people working on their own homes.  You have to show you know what you are doing. Only place I have ever lived that had a rule like that.  Anywhere else I have been was just as you say - do the work and the inspector checks it out. 

As I posted, it's Montgomery county, in Maryland.  From what I've been told it's just a matter of grabbing $40 from you under the guise of a test for safety's sake.

Feh, the hassle isn't the money it's the time to spend there taking it.  

Interesting for sure - I'm in CA where you can't install a roll of toilet paper without a license, but the homeowner can do anything they want as long as it still passes inspection and they're not flipping the house.

Work2Play said:
Interesting for sure - I'm in CA where you can't install a roll of toilet paper without a license, but the homeowner can do anything they want as long as it still passes inspection and they're not flipping the house.

Curious, how do they define you as a "flipper".  Seems like that would be a tough one to define and enforce.  The difference between a flipper and someone who just didn't live there long for whatever reason would be ambiguous.

Perhaps they only go after the guy who is flipping multiple homes at a time?

Back