What if the keypad is ripped off the wall, can it still dial out?

jeffreycowart

I am in the process of installing an ELK system in my home.  The M1 panel will be located in a basement closet out of sight, but I was wondering what happens if a keypad is smashed or ripped off the wall by an intruder during the entry delay?

This would potentially short out the data bus if all the wires touched or if no wires touched when ripped out could create an open condition.

Would this cause the M1 to fault or error out, preventing it from calling the central station?
I have cellular monitoring via the dialer POTS connection.

I know the cheap all-in-one wireless solutions have this problem, because the intruder literally rips the main panel/dialer off the wall before it can dial out.

I would assume the M1 would be immune to this, I thought about trying a test by just disconnecting the data bus to see how it reacted during the entry delay, but was probably more concerned with a situation where all the wire shorted out.

Thanks for your input!

Jeff 

The 12v supply wires in the data bus are protected by a PTC.  So if they short as the keypad is ripped off the wall, the PTC will open and allow the rest of the M1 to continue to operate.

If the data wires short, it will prevent other devices on the data bus from operating, but that should not stop the dialer from working.

Though I haven't actually tried it, I would say that the M1 should still be able to dial out.

RAL said:
The 12v supply wires in the data bus are protected by a PTC.  So if they short as the keypad is ripped off the wall, the PTC will open and allow the rest of the M1 to continue to operate.

If the data wires short, it will prevent other devices on the data bus from operating, but that should not stop the dialer from working.

Though I haven't actually tried it, I would say that the M1 should still be able to dial out.
RAL- depends on the panel and what actually shorts. I haven't tried the M1, but I wouldn't be surprised if kicking off the PTC for aux caused other issues. Had it happen on some lower end Vista panels before.

Back