What is a "True Day/Night" camera?

How much did that camera set you back? And does it really support MJPEG streaming?

I bought this cam used for $325, quite a discount from the $1,000+ list price. It does support MJPEG streaming. I have three other IQEye 711 1.3MP cams outside (not D/N) and one ACTi 3401. The ACTi is a dome, but not an outdoor cam. I decided to take a chance with it since it's under the porch and protected from the elements. Plus in SW FL, we usually don't have to worry about freezing temps. Here's a shot with the ACTi. You can see how it's tucked up away from the elements.

Attachments

• trig_00.jpg
    trig_00.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 24
Kevin,

Nice picture.

Are your pictures / video (1536 x 1200 resolution) are being recorded at same resolution with a DVR or are you just recording motion events?

Noticed the camera is an IP-POE Hi def at around $900 or so.

Do you leave your lights on all night? What's the difference in attraction to insects with the coach lights versus the LED lighting?

Thanks, Pete.

The cameras are pretty new, and right now all of them are capturing snapshots on motion. I'm testing Vitamin D and have the 2-camera license. It does a really good job of capturing all motion at full resolution. I need to get it to be less sensitive, because palm fronds, shadows, etc cause it to record. I'm also looking into Exacq NVR software to record on motion. I haven't really felt the need to record continuously, especially with the size needed for full resolution.

I've managed to get all my cams, some new, some used, for considerably less on eBay or CCTVForum. The three IQ711s were all under $500, and have worked great.

Kevin

Curious about the lighting.

I currently utilize the IR sensors / camera video sensors to trigger the outside lights "after hours" therefore providing better lighting for the Optex cams.

Do you just leave your lighting on all night?

A while ago spoke at length with an owner of an alarm company and he was into just using Mobotix security cams for all new security camera needs.

The coach lights on the garage are on from 10:30PM until 20 minutes before sunrise at 50% dimming. If one of the PIRs (Optex HX-40RAM) sense motion, it turns on all outdoor lights at 100% including floods and dock lights. I haven't let the cameras motion detectors trigger the lighting because their motion sensing aren't as reliable as the Optex sensors.

Mobotix cameras are very good and very expensive. Most alarm companies only like to use one or two vendors, since it makes installation and service easier.

Kevin

I do a similiar event taking all the outdoor lights to 100% and include all of the landscaping lighting.

Curious what type of lighting are you using for your dock? I've set up the "infrastructure" for 120VAC style lamps (about 8 of them) but also thought about LV lighting along the dock.

BSR, have you looked at the CNB "Monalisa" cameras? they are highly regarded as a true day night and low cost cameras by the guys at the CCTV forum
Do you know if they have separate settings available for both day and night times?

The CNB Monalisa cameras are a very good camera but unfortunately they don't have separate settings for day and night time. It would be a nice feature but I am unaware of any analog cameras that have that.

Just standard incandescent bulbs inside globes on top of some of the pilings. Can't beat the dimming properties of incandescent. Here's a picture. There are also floods in the back to really light up the place, but they only go off with motion.

Excuse the trap. Trying to get a pesky armadillo that's been feasting on the backyard.

Kevin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 26
Without turning up the lights, a moving person might be little too blurry to make positive identification. With the floodlights on, it would be likely. I haven't finished installing all motion detectors and floodlights. If I think of it, I'll try and get pics of nightime with the floods.

A lot of theft occurs during the day, since that's when many homes are unoccupied. I have been able to ask a neighbor not to walk her dogs on my lawn, letting her know she was on camera.

Thanks Kevin.

Thanks for the info. Its pretty quiet in FL other than a rumor about a neighbor maybe shooting a crane that's hung around for years. (he didn't like it hanging around his pool that's not in a Lanai).

Neighbor (across the canal) installed a couple of cams facting his docks when he built his house.

A few years back had a Manatee take up residence under the dock.

The wildlife in FL is amazing. We have Sandhill Cranes, Herons, Egrets, etc. that hang around the house. I've only been tempted twice to shoot something: a mockingbird that wouldn't shut up and the damn armadillo that's tearing up my lawn.

I love having the manatee and dolphins in the canal. Never get tired of watching them. Here's one of the dolphins, and a manatee drinking out of the outfall pipe in the seawall.

Kevin

Attachments

• Dolphin_in_canal.jpg
    Dolphin_in_canal.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Manatee_drinking.jpg
    Manatee_drinking.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 29
I noticed in all these screen shots that nobody's faces were shown, especially at night. ;)
Here's a couple of pics from the emails automatically sent last night after the Yankees lost and I started pulling my hair out. If I pulled caps from the full-res video I'd likely be able to isolate a frame that has more detail. Plus, I don't have floods set up in this area yet, so the illumination in the driveway is just from the garage coach lights turned up to 100%. The front door pic has the can lights above at 100%, so detail is better.

Kevin

Attachments

• trig_02.jpg
    trig_02.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 37
  • trig_00.jpg
    trig_00.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 48
Good pictures. I can only utilize the coach lights / landscaping lights as we are not allowed floods in our subdivision in the MW. I overlap a bit on the 4 cams I have in the front of the home with two being at about car height level. I'm noticing that in the MW the Optex combo cams have done fine (weatherwise) for about 7 years now.

I had an issue in FL with one neighbor about one lamp by the dock. He even covered the lamp up with a paper bag one night. (60 watt bulb). The across the canal neighbor (with the cams) put on motion spots on the side of the house with a variety of dock lighting (a few spots that face down from his two docks to the water)

How do the outside dock cams do with the weather. Last year replaced the garage coach lamps after about 10 years and they had mostly fallen apart due to the salt air. The PVC by the pool pump dries and becomes somewhat brittle. I do have one spot on a palm tree using flexible PVC thats been in place now for about 25 years or so. Its difficult to get to though.

Back