What is a "True Day/Night" camera?

As was already said true day/night has a IR filter for day and none for night. Most use a mechanical design that move a filter in front of the lens once a photo sensor sees enough ambient light.

However there are some cameras that are true day/night with no mechanical filter, instead that actually have two separate sensors, one for day one for night. The advantage is no moving parts, and they typically go with a higher resolution sensor for day. As your pixel count goes up the size of the pixels goes down reducing their ability to capture light, requiring longer exposure. The larger the overall sensor size affects pixel size too. So for low light operation you want as large a sensor as possible(1/2" is good, 1/3" ok, most cheaper cams are 1/4").

Some examples of high end true day/night without mechanical cut filters are Mobotix in the DualNight M12 and Arecont with their AV3135. These are considedered the best solution for megapixel true day/night but also expensive with the Mobotix M12 costing around $1500, although it has some interesting feature like having a speaker and mic, and acting as a SIP IP phone that can call you based on events.

CCTV experts still tend to agree megapixel has a hard time keeping up with NTSC resolution cameras for low light situations though, simply because of pixel size, and that most megapixel cams use CMOS instead of CDD which is inferior in low light typically. The consensus is the best low light performance comes from camera that utilize a Sony Ex-view CCD imager.

On facial recognition at night, a few things to consider, higher pixel count obviously helps, but higher pixel count can mean longer shutter time to gather light leading to motion blur, this hurts facial recognition if the target is moving which is typical. Also powerful IR emitters close to the camera can cause washout if the targets gets near the camera and looks at it. So IR illumination is a balance between long distance and close up washout.

For me personally I would like to use a Mobotix but it is simply to expensive, instead I have settled on a Y-cam/Sharx Outdoor bullet. It is a non megapixel(640x480 progressive) With true day/night cut filter and good low light performance(because of the large pixel size) with POE and a microphone at $350. I have a Y-cam Knight and it's firmware is rock solid with good features, and has a full iPhone client along with browser support and works with most NDVR software. See Y-cam bullet review and Sharx POE Bullet Amazon Price

Also note if the camera is not true day/night it may be one of two varieties. Most cheaper cams are day only cams, that is they have a permanent IR filter installed so they look good in daylight(like Panasonic IP cams and many Axis cams), this makes the very bad in low light. The other variety have no IR filter installed (like the Y-cam Knight) they perform well at night but colors look off during the day(Everything is reddish in color on my Y-cam).

Go to CCTV Forum for very helpful experts and plenty of discussion on ip camera performance at night, along with example images.

How do the outside dock cams do with the weather. Last year replaced the garage coach lamps after about 10 years and they had mostly fallen apart due to the salt air. The PVC by the pool pump dries and becomes somewhat brittle. I do have one spot on a palm tree using flexible PVC thats been in place now for about 25 years or so. Its difficult to get to though.
Did you mean the dock cams or lamps? The outside cams are great. They are box cams in Pelco enclosures. They've been up about a year and are like new. The dock lamps have been up three years and don't seem to have weathered yet. I know what you mean about the PVC. I placed all my outdoor equipment on the north side of the house so it wouldn't be in the sun. Here's a pic of it in the shade. Normally I have the cam just covering the equipment. I have the view a bit wide right now because we just bought the lot next door, cleared and graded, and planted a lot of trees/bushes and sod. Wanted to keep an eye on them until they're rooted. Too easy to come by and pull them out. Mulch is coming next week or so.

Kevin

Attachments

• trig_01.jpg
    trig_01.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 25
I have the pool pump, filter and heater arranged in similiar order but on the East side of the house. With the tear down and new construction the pool level is now at second floor height versus original home ground level. The "pool" maintainance guy told me having the pool elevated puts a lot stress on the ground level PVC's. Hence my last visit a couple of months ago. My neice decided to go for a 10 PM swim. She came in the telling me she was hearing some major water flow outside near the side of the house. I walked out to the Lanai and the pool was nearly empty and noticed that the top had come off the pool filter. Emptied out quickly.

I noticed in all these screen shots that nobody's faces were shown, especially at night. ;)
Here's a couple of pics from the emails automatically sent last night after the Yankees lost and I started pulling my hair out.

This is what I'm talking about, that lack of facial detail. In the B&W one I understand you are a considerable distance away from the camera, but most faces look like that about half that distance away.

Keep in mind these are compressed JPEGs that are emailed. If I went frame-by-frame through the full-res video, I'd be able to get a sharper picture. The color picture is recognizable since the lighting is better. Right now I don't have floods in the front, so this was just the coach lights. When I add more lighting, I'll be able to speed up the shutter and increase detail. I'm not as worried at night as I am during the day. I'm an insurance agent, and we get more burglary/vandalism claims in the day than the night. At night we're at home; during the day we're gone. Here's a long shot of me this morning. Much more recognizable.

Kevin

Attachments

• trig_01.jpg
    trig_01.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 52
That's not bad, but you just showed an example of my biggest complaint with cameras like this...you can not get this level of detail both day and night. I'm also willing to bet that if you fiddled with all the adjustments available you could get this detail at night (making the adjustments at night with your current lighting.

I'm sure I could, too. As with most of our HA projects, it's a work in progress. Again, I'm not as concerned with detail at night since we're home, and the lights coming on all over, including a couple of inside lights at delayed intervals, is enough to chase the offender. The cameras will confirm whether it's an animal or other innocent trigger. During the day we're not home, and that's when more crime happens. The cams do a good job in daylight.

Kevin

That's not bad, but you just showed an example of my biggest complaint with cameras like this...you can not get this level of detail both day and night. I'm also willing to bet that if you fiddled with all the adjustments available you could get this detail at night (making the adjustments at night with your current lighting.

This is why cameras with separate sensors for day night are superior, not only can each sensor have different setting for shutter and frame rate and other settings, they can have physically different lenses which can help things like facial recognition . The Mobotix M12 typically has a 3MP color day sensor with a 1.3MP black and white night sensor. The larger pixels of the 1.3 along with it not having the color filter allow much better low light sensitivity, while sacrificing resolution.

Good facial recognition is mainly about pixels on target, CCTV experts tend to say you need at least 40 pixels on a face to properly recognize. So based on number of pixels on the sensor and lens focal length, you can figure how close the target needs to be to get 40 pixels of resolution on the face. Again though too slow of a shutter speed( which many cameras will not let you control at night, they auto slow the shutter) will cause motion blur on a moving target ruining any kind of recognition. Also too much IR illumination will wash out the face as well.

Here are some links showing example face image from a Mobotix (although they are both shrunk down from original):
Mobotix Day/Night
Mobotix and Focal Length

Also see this excellent post on the CCTV forum of various megapixle camera day/night examples: CCTV Forum Megapixel camera post

This is why cameras with separate sensors for day night are superior, not only can each sensor have different setting for shutter and frame rate and other settings, they can have physically different lenses which can help things like facial recognition . The Mobotix M12 typically has a 3MP color day sensor with a 1.3MP black and white night sensor. The larger pixels of the 1.3 along with it not having the color filter allow much better low light sensitivity, while sacrificing resolution.

Again, not to :horse: but, I stated that cameras DO NOT have separate settings for day and night time adjustments and that these firmware additions would be WELCOMED in all the cameras I have tested. The biggest being noise reduction and gain settings.

Again, not to :horse: but, I stated that cameras DO NOT have separate settings for day and night time adjustments and that these firmware additions would be WELCOMED in all the cameras I have tested. The biggest being noise reduction and gain settings.

Then you obviously have not tested a Mobotix camera. It has separate settings for its "left" and "right" sensors. It can automatically switch sensors based on lux or a time schedule. See section 5.7 of their cameras software manual for details.

Mobotix is very expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Here is an examples screen shot showing the individual settings:
Untitled.jpg

Well, I'll be. I am one to admit when I'm wrong and now I'm very intriqued by that Mobotix Camera. Do you know an approximate price and a possible link to an outdoor one you would recommend?

Edit: Found THIS one.

Well, I'll be. I am one to admit when I'm wrong and now I'm very intriqued by that Mobotix Camera. Do you know an approximate price and a possible link to an outdoor one you would recommend?

Edit: Found THIS one.

The DualNight M12 is the one. It can range from $1000-$1500 depending on configuration, as you can pick and choose the left and right sensors and lenses. The typical configuration is 3MP day, 1.3MP b/w night, which is going to be around $1500: Network Web Cams price.

Note they also have a"CamIO" module which has two high power relays for turning lights on and off when the camera sense motion through it's IR sensor or image motion. I have not seen another camera have this option, which would be interesting for HA use.

As I said Mobotix cameras are also SIP IP Phones, you can call them or they can call you on event they have a mic and speaker, they also have a tone control menu and if you have a video phone you can see the live stream instead of just audio.

They can also record to a Windows based SMB share directly, which negates the need for DVR software in many situations.

This may well be the Holy Grail! I wasted about half that amount for one camera on cameras that I wound being disappointed with! That plus the fact all recording is done internal to the camera itself, so as you said, no need for the cost of a DVR. They can also operate up to 120 deg F (important out here), plus, one camera can cover an area of three 'normal' ones. Add this all up and that price doesn't seem to out of bounds.

I have been eying those cameras for a while, they really are impressive. How is the motion detection on those? Do they offer analytic type detection, or is it still the basic stuff?

I have been eying those cameras for a while, they really are impressive. How is the motion detection on those? Do they offer analytic type detection, or is it still the basic stuff?

The motion detection is pretty advanced, not only can it do multiple motion windows, it can do "reference windows" which will prevent a motion event from triggering if they detect motion, such as a reference window over leaves on a tree, so when the wind blows it desensitizes temporarily.

They also do object tracing, and remember these cameras have a PIR sensor, as well as a mic, and temperature sensor, changes in any of these sensor can trigger alarm. I don't know of other cameras with a PIR and Temp sensor built in and available for trigger. The PIR can trigger a motion event even in total darkness, with no illumination, as it sees heat sources.

Here is a example screen from their manual showing object tracing:
Mobotix_Object.jpg

Back