What is the equivalent of the ISY99 for z-wave and UPB?

ghurty

It appears that as far as most of the users here are concerned, the ISY99i is THE tool for a non-pc controller for the INSTEON series.
What are the equivalents for z-wave and UPB?

Thanks

ISY has a UPB version. As I understand, it is the same hardware, just different firmware. Beyond that, I know nothing.

So if someone want so have a dual-network of some UPB and some liteon devices, they would have to have to ISY99's? Is that even doable or would they clash with each other?

Thanks

I suggest contacting Universal Devices by email. However, I can confirm that you would need to ISY's and each would have their own PLC using their own power line frequencies which should be able to coexist. I think it would be challenging, however, to have the two ISY's participate in the same programs. I am sure it can be done, but it would probably be a programming challenge.

I doubt that this would be the best way to control a mixed environment unless you really didn't need the two technologies to play together.

For Z-Wave, take a look at Mi Casa Verde's Vera 2 controller, supports everything from door locks to thermostats. I am still in process of reviewing a unit (been sidetracked with a few other projects), but so far, I strongly recommend it. As for UPB, PCS has their own version of the ISY-99, but it's pretty expensive. There is also the new Web Mountain RUC, which supports basic automation.

So if someone want so have a dual-network of some UPB and some liteon devices, they would have to have to ISY99's? Is that even doable or would they clash with each other?

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend running two different power line protocols at the same time. They will look like noise to each other and likely cause interference probably more so UPB causing issues for Insteon than the alternative. Also if you decide to go with UPB or Insteon I would stay away from using any other products that put a signal over the power line (networking, etc).

Really you should pick one lighting protocol and stick with it for everything, not mix and match, you would only be complicating things for yourself.

I wouldn't recommend running two different power line protocols at the same time. They will look like noise to each other and likely cause interference probably more so UPB causing issues for Insteon than the alternative. Also if you decide to go with UPB or Insteon I would stay away from using any other products that put a signal over the power line (networking, etc).

Really you should pick one lighting protocol and stick with it for everything, not mix and match, you would only be complicating things for yourself.

Supposedly UPB doesn't clash:

"Interaction – UPB communication can be used in the presence of all X-10, CEBus, or LonWorks compatible equipment with no interference amongst the various types of devices. The UPB technology uses a completely different frequency range than any of the wide-band, narrow-band, or spread spectrum technologies. The physical method of UPB communication is entirely different from the modulation-demodulation techniques of all X-10, CEBus, and LonWorks equipment."

Insteon isn't mentioned specifically here, but if x-10 works, Insteon is bound to work.

However, I totally agree with you in that it just isn't a very good way to do things. I agree, pick one technology and go with it. Your life will be miserable trying to mesh these things together.

I understand UPB and Insteon CAN coexist.

UPB version of the ISY-99:

http://pulseworx.com/mi-lightstyle_.php

One must use the network module to communicate between the UPB and Insteon systems.

While I have personally tried none of this, the idea interested me enough to ask some questions of the fine folks at Universal Devices.

One must use the network module to communicate between the UPB and Insteon systems.

Seeing as the network module is an outbound only feature, how does this work? io_guy could probably write an application to synchronize variables much like the ones he wrote for DSC alarms and CAI webcontrol, but then a pc would need to be running.

Another option avaliable to you is HomeSeer's HomeTroller. The HomeTroller is a web-based network automation controller that is capable of communicating to Z-Wave, UPB, Inston, and X10.

While I would not recommend mixing Insteon/UPB, if you are intent on doing so the HomeTroller may be your best option.

I have a mixture of UPB, Insteon, X10, and Z-wave and use HomeSeer with no problems what so ever. This is the beauty of using a software based control system.

I run a mix too of UPB, Insteon, X10 and Z-Wave. No problems here with both Homeseer and the HAI OPII (a bit overkill - works fine though).

Just to provide info on our product, the Web Mountain Remote Universal Controller (RUC-01) has two serial ports so you can interoperate between two different protocols with one RUC-01. The RUC-01 allows you to control UPB modules from Insteon, Zwave or X10 modules; control Zwave modules from Insteon, UPB or X10 modules; control X10 modules from Insteon, UPB or Zwave modules and control Insteon modules from UPB, Zwave or X10 modules. The RUC does a lot more than interoperate amongst these home automation protocols, it also allows you to:

• Turn UPB, Zwave, Insteon and/or X10 lights and appliances on and off according to pre-defined schedules
• Open or close motorized drapes or shades according to pre-defined schedules
• Monitor and control any UPB, Zwave, X10 or Insteon module (including HVAC) from anywhere
• Setup and troubleshoot your UPB network from anywhere
• Run remote monitoring and trouble shooting software for Zwave, Insteon or X10 networks from anywhere
• Add countdown timer functionality to any UPB, Insteon, Zwave or X10 module
• Send email alerts for a wide variety of events
• Operate a wide variety of motorized window treatments from the web, from an inexpensive touch screen, from a smart phone or from any UPB, Insteon, Zwave or X10 transmitter
• Monitor and control vacation homes with UPB, Zwave, X10 and/or Insteon installed
• Use Apps for your iPhone, iPad or Droid to control UPB, Insteon, X10 and/or Zwave devices along with ESI drapery controllers

You can learn more about the RUC here: http://webmtn.com/RUC/RUC-information.php

Just to provide info on our product, the Web Mountain Remote Universal Controller (RUC-01) has two serial ports so you can interoperate between two different protocols with one RUC-01. The RUC-01 allows you to control UPB modules from Insteon, Zwave or X10 modules; control Zwave modules from Insteon, UPB or X10 modules; control X10 modules from Insteon, UPB or Zwave modules and control Insteon modules from UPB, Zwave or X10 modules. The RUC does a lot more than interoperate amongst these home automation protocols, it also allows you to:

• Turn UPB, Zwave, Insteon and/or X10 lights and appliances on and off according to pre-defined schedules
• Open or close motorized drapes or shades according to pre-defined schedules
• Monitor and control any UPB, Zwave, X10 or Insteon module (including HVAC) from anywhere
• Setup and troubleshoot your UPB network from anywhere
• Run remote monitoring and trouble shooting software for Zwave, Insteon or X10 networks from anywhere
• Add countdown timer functionality to any UPB, Insteon, Zwave or X10 module
• Send email alerts for a wide variety of events
• Operate a wide variety of motorized window treatments from the web, from an inexpensive touch screen, from a smart phone or from any UPB, Insteon, Zwave or X10 transmitter
• Monitor and control vacation homes with UPB, Zwave, X10 and/or Insteon installed
• Use Apps for your iPhone, iPad or Droid to control UPB, Insteon, X10 and/or Zwave devices along with ESI drapery controllers

You can learn more about the RUC here: http://webmtn.com/RUC/RUC-information.php

I have an ISY, but am curious to know more about webmtn. Is the device capable of creating and maintaining the Insteon network, or is it just a means to initiate and monitor events (turn stuff on/off and know that it is on/off)? Specifically, does it create and write links tables to devices (scenes), remove/replace devices as a single command, and other similar activities?

Back