what is x10 ?

chevy_b69

is it a programming language, or a protcol, is it a product e.g. a lighting controller, is it only for powerline control, is it just an organisation ?

i hear it referred to so many times in so many different circumstances i am completely lost as to what it is.

please help ;)

chevy_b69 said:
is it a programming language, or a protcol, is it a product e.g. a lighting controller, is it only for powerline control, is it just an organisation ?

i hear it referred to so many times in so many different circumstances i am completely lost as to what it is.

please help ;)
x10 is both a communications protocol for transmitting simple messages (usually lighting or appliance control) at the zero crossing of standard AC wiring and/or via wireless RF, as well as a company (X10.com) known for peddling "economy" automation hardware via annoying pop-up marketing.

x10 is the Ford Model T of the automation world. Essential PLC - Power Line Control, use for sending automation signals throughout your house via the electrical lines. The newer technology replacements for it are Insteon and UPB for powerline and ZWave for wireless. I'm sure there are better technical answers out there but thats it in a nutshell. Unless your main driving force is low price, investigate Insteon or UPB.

X10 products made by the company X10 are cheap, but can work well. One big advantage of X10 is that the patents have expired, and a wide variety of X10 products are offered by a bunch of different companies. The mid-line Leviton X10/DHC switches are not cheap, but they work very well.

It is true that the powerline environment has changed vastly since X10 was developed, and that has caused problems for many users. However, if one invests some effort, a X10 system can achieve virtually 100% operational reliability. I have created a troubleshooting series to address some of the issues.

http://jeffvolp.home.att.net/x10_info/x10_...bleshooting.htm

Jeff

To fill in a gap: It is also an RF protocol.

X10 RF is what the battery-powered handheld remotes and motion sensors use. They normally transmit to a plug-in receiver, that then puts the command on the powerline.

The power-line carrier protocol, as originally developed by BSR, is properly referred to as X-10. x10 refers to the company x10.com which, as I understand it, acquired the rights to the protocol many years ago. The RF devices were, I believe, developed by x10.com, but do encapsulate the X-10 protocol. So, should they be referred to as x10 or X-10 ;) ?

Just Another Joe said:
The power-line carrier protocol, as originally developed by BSR, is properly referred to as X-10.
Yup, and after I did that, I became moderator of CocoonTech! ;)
(man, bet this really puts confusion in this thread :D )

Well, to add something meaningful, the experiment of creating this powerline protocol was called "Experiment #10", which is where "X-10" got its name!

BraveSirRobbin said:
Just Another Joe said:
The power-line carrier protocol, as originally developed by BSR, is properly referred to as X-10.
Yup, and after I did that, I became moderator of CocoonTech! ;)
(man, bet this really puts confusion in this thread :p )

:D :D :p

Excellent come-back, BSR. Yes, I was referring to British Sound Reproduction (How many here are old enough to have had a BSR record player? Raise your hands.), rather than CocoonTech's own ;) .

Well, to add something meaningful, the experiment of creating this powerline protocol was called "Experiment #10", which is where "X-10" got its name!

And here's an article from Uncle Phil which relates some of that history (scroll down about a third of the page).

Back