What PC to use with ELO Touchscreen?

And what content do you want displayed?

I would want video, VMR9 and overlays and all the cool stuffs that comes with DX9 or DX10.

As such the small low powered PCs like the

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ms_7265

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile (Merom), Core Duo, Core Solo, Celeron M (4xx series) (Yonah)
Socket M (479 pin) 667 MHz FSB
Chipset Intel 945GM north bridge
ICH7M south bridge
System Memory 2 DDR2 533/667 SDRAM sockets
Up to 4GB memory size (~3.25GB recognizable)
VGA Built-in Intel Graphics with GMA 950 Technology
Expansion Slots 1 PCI
Onboard IDE 1 ATA 133 (40-pin)
Onboard Serial ATA 2 SATA connectors
Onboard USB 8 USB 2.0
Onboard LAN 2 Intel 82541PI 10/100/1000
Onboard Audio Realtek ALC658 5.1 channel AC'97 codec
Back Panel I/O 1 PS2 mouse port
1 PS2 keyboard port
1 VGA port
1 DVI port
2 RS-232 COM ports
2 LAN ports
4 USB 2.0
3 Audio jacks: line-out, line-in, mic-in
Onboard I/O Connectors 2 SATA connectors
2 USB 2.0 connectors for 4 USB ports
1 CD-in connector
1 Front audio connector
2 Fan connectors
ATX power connector
P4 power connector*
BIOS Award BIOS 4Mb flash memory
System Monitoring & Management Watchdog timer, CPU voltage monitoring, Keyboard power on, Timer power on, System power management, AC power failure recovery
Operating Temperature 0 ~ 60°C
Operating Humidity 10% ~ 80% (relative humidity; non-condensing)
Form Factor Mini-ITX (17 cm x 17 cm)
Includes ATA 100 flat cable (40- to 44-pin, 40 conductor,
3 connectors )
2 SATA power cables
2 SATA cables
Back plate
CPU cooler
Utility CD
Drivers CD for 64-bit Windows XP
Operating manual

*This mainboard requires a 12V P4 (molex) power connector from the power supply in order to function properly.

At the moment I will just be using it for Homseer. I would in the future like to get a DVR card to record my cameras and be able to pull those up on the screen also. I have 3 of the ET1545L-8UWC-1 that a bunch of people just bought from the Hot Deals section. Two of them are mounted in the walls beside my steps in the basement and main level. I ran the usb and vga cables under the basement steps where my HA computer sits. I was going to pick up two cheap computers to run them and got thinking I should just hook them up to the HA computer (if it is possible). Would a more expensive video card be beneficial in displaying the dvr video in the future?

I have no idea what a thin client is. What's the difference between a computer and a thin client? What's involved with get one going? Space is not an issue for me since I ran the wires under my steps. Is size or price the advantage to a thin client? I've put the third screen in my master bath. I'm tighter on space in that situation and would like to learn more about the thin client option. Can the thin client display the dvr cards video?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Lance

Lance, a thin client is simply a lean client that is basically a screen whereby the computing is done from a central location. ie, a server with high computing power does all the processing for, lets say, five attached thin clients, thus it appears there are five PC's on a network but in reality its really on ONE processor (or one "pc" with mulitple processors should you chose).

Did I sum that up correctly yall? Been a some years from my tech days.

ps. if you go the thin client route, which can be less expensive, you need to have a pretty heavy duty processing pc/server IF the thin clients will be used alot at once, otherwise its not as important if, say, one thin client is used occassionally, one at time. I will be corrected if i am off base.

You got the client server relationship, and there are boatloads of those configurations around. This is the same thing as the SageTV>MVP, the MVP boots an OS from the server system. It is utterly worthless without a server to render the interface.

IIRC the Elk touchscreen has a damn RDP client, it's just not 15". (I don't think) That'll do just about everything minus really nice video, this is a limitation of RDP though. Most terminal servers don't allow a bunch of video though, the SageTV>MVP seems to be the minority. Of course the MVP doesn't have touch so thats instantly out.

Lance, a thin client is simply a lean client that is basically a screen whereby the computing is done from a central location. ie, a server with high computing power does all the processing for, lets say, five attached thin clients, thus it appears there are five PC's on a network but in reality its really on ONE processor (or one "pc" with mulitple processors should you chose).

Did I sum that up correctly yall? Been a some years from my tech days.

ps. if you go the thin client route, which can be less expensive, you need to have a pretty heavy duty processing pc/server IF the thin clients will be used alot at once, otherwise its not as important if, say, one thin client is used occassionally, one at time. I will be corrected if i am off base.

Well, not quite. The thin clients do have their own processors and memory and run an OS. In the case of the 9235LE's its windows XPe. They come with some software installed including IE and can browse the internet independently. You can install some software on them directly. Thats what I've done with the Powerhome remote clients. This allows multiple independent home automation screens without the expense of a server. They can also do RDP and Citrix (but nobody is going to pay for a Citrix license at home). The major limitation for the older models is they won't refresh the screen quickly enough to do full motion video. I've tried it with some online clips which look sort of ok in a small window but in a large window you can see the screen repaint between frames. Probably ok for basic security but not for anything else.

keepersq,
What monitor are you using with the Wyse and PH? ELo or another touchscreen?

I'm using an ELO 15 inch monitor. Its one of the refurbs that Michael Santiago was selling for $100. Works great. He indicated that he was going to come back with a similar product with a bezel for about $150.

I wouldn't discount the vga extenders....If you already have cat5 near the location (phone or data) it makes for a very clean install as you have a small cigar sized box, with no power wart (gets power from the transmitter). I use several ELOs with the Cybex Longview extenders (about $75 on ebay) and they carry both the VGA and serial for the touchscreen control. I just use an old PIII remotely located to drive all my screens. The ELO driver supports upto four concurrent serial ports so you can have four screens directly connected serially, and use a reverse KVM or VGA splitter to attach all four monitors to the PC. Granted, all four monitors will show the same thing, but for a family of four, it has NEVER been an issue.

Interesting solution... I didn't know you could run 4 concurrent serial connections for the ELO driver. A lot cheaper than UTMA! I would lose sound but can deal with that. In fact having having 4 screens all show the same thing might be an advantage. And all the benefits of only running 1 PC just like UTMA. I need to look at this some more....

The Cybex longviews also transmit sound both ways (speaker and mic), along with the serial and KVM, depending on the model. So, you can use the speakers on the ELO if you want.

I am looking more seriously at this solution because I can use it right away for viewing my IP cameras and then later to support touch screens. So as I understand it to view at 4 locations I would need:

An old PC to host the screens (got plenty of those)

A Keyspan usb to 4 serial port adaptor

A 4-way video splitter (Something cheap from Cyberguys or ebay?)

4 Longlinks with audio (Might have to wait awhile till some come up on eBay)

4 Screens (Must be ELO to support using 4 serial ports?)

So it looks like this solution would run about $450 plus the cost of the ELO screens... Did I miss anything?

Back