What to ask GE security installer...

johnnynine

My security installer will me installing a base GE security system. I plan on replacing it with an Elk M1.

1. I would like to know the things that I need to know before replacing it. I assume I may need some kind of master password and a security monitoring service phone number?

2. At some point I will then need to know what I need to tell the security monitoring company before and after the replacement.

Johnny

Question 1: How long is the contract you gotta sign, and how can you get out of it early?

I think it's 3 years and I have to stick with it. It was the only way to get the house wired for security. The monitoring company said I could upgrade the hardware if it was professionally installed. But once I know what i am doing, I'll just do it myself and hopefully they don't know the difference.

So what I am asking is what kinds of things I might need to know before I take out the old system and put in the new.

I dont know anything about monitoring but You'll need to know if they are installing eol's and their values AND if they are not installed in the pannel (which they should be installed at the sensors) they may not be compatible with the ELK.

johnnynine said:
My security installer will me installing a base GE security system. I plan on replacing it with an Elk M1.

1. I would like to know the things that I need to know before replacing it. I assume I may need some kind of master password and a security monitoring service phone number?

2. At some point I will then need to know what I need to tell the security monitoring company before and after the replacement.

Johnny
I doubt your going to get any of this information. This is how they get more business.

Have you asked them if you could get this before signing the contract?

Another option is to leave the GE system and use another smart controller. I have a GE NetworX (former Caddx) that I've installed, and I have it tightly integrated to my HomeVision Pro controller (via simple serial cable... communications is fast and seamless).

No reason to rip out a perfectly good system... HVPro has at least as sophisticated logic engine as Elk (I haven't found anything Elk can do that I can't yet), plus it does others (IR, TV control (use the TV to control the HVPro), touchscreen control, phone integration, built in webserver, etc). Even if you don't want HVPro - there are many good alternatives...

bfisher said:
I have a GE NetworX (former Caddx) that I've installed, and I have it tightly integrated to my HomeVision Pro controller (via simple serial cable... communications is fast and seamless).
It won't be Caddx, it will be GE's most basic unit which I don't think has any kind of serial interface. Caddx was an upgrade.

Back