What to do with an M1Gold? Continue to invest or "upgrade" (replace)?

Smack smack...;)

Well here while I purchased two dated Leviton HAI OPII panels I have been able to do much with the tiny footprint OPII in the can spilling over the original footprint with one and not the other. 

Well too there is now Schneider Electric which probably doesn't have anything to do with this..

I admit here that Leviton / HAI has though shot itself in the foot trying to update the panel assuming most folks would just spend another XXK to update their touchscreens and whatever....that was a faux pas and does ding their user base....shame on you Leviton...but maybe they do not care anymore having neglected its old user base?

I should have purchased an Elk M1 instead here in the midwest as I do today have expanded over to a Leviton 42" panel and an HAI subpanel and the current OPII is spilling its guts but working just fine.

@ Pete, I know you're on the same page, but people put "dated" in the realm of PC's, whatever Idroidberry they have in their pocket at any given time and whatever the flavor of the year app/interface/cloud/what have you exists. They quickly forget that Xwavebee Nesting protocol that was released Q4 of the year before isn't compatible with their Elkpro II panel and grumble about it.

The basic facts are any panel that put security first and UL are going to be slow to evolve or add the latest flavor of whatever to the mix natively. The economics to push a FW through UL aren't going to be there if the basic (albeit difficult) framework exists to talk to whatever 3rd party device via it's native integration. The manufacturer also isn't going to be likely to move to an integration if it's fresh on the market. Security system and adoption of bleeding edge or newer technology is really not going to happen quickly.

I put it in the realm (albeit a poor choice) with HAI being similar to a certain fruit company; you can buy all their branded product and have it all talk to each other relatively easily but 3rd party products will require work. Elk is similar to a certain term for a humanoid robot. They can talk to literally everything in some form, but their integration is dependent on the other party's integration capabilities and require a little up front legwork.

That said, would it be great if both companies made the next generation panel with improvements, sure, but do I want the present platform and products to be obsolete and not connect to them, no. (no panel/peripheral left behind).

Understood Del..

The manufacturer also isn't going to be likely to move to an integration if it's fresh on the market. Security system and adoption of bleeding edge or newer technology is really not going to happen quickly.

.....yup and security and automation do not mix well and yes it's really Leviton that needs a bit of some "in your face" stuff as have been slow on the uptake...what are they waiting for?  They did purchase HAI for a reason didn't they?

I am in an are we there yet mode today and do understand why they are slow on the uptake such that they really need a good push otherwise they will ball valve themselves out of the security automation market. 

Yeah it could be who is managing the helm (Donald Hendler) that is slow on the uptake or just doesn't care anymore.

Truely it isn't my concern as I really couldn't care less if they do or do not.

I do not work for them and am content with the functionality of what I have today.

Back