What's the right way to hook up a switched outlet to UPB?

In a synopsis....reviewing OP

So best I figure...there are 2 ways to hook these up to UPB.

1. Get a UPB wall switch... OR
2. Leave the wall switch alone and get the UPB outlet module that plugs into the wall and then the lamp plugs into it.

Is there a Right or a Wrong way to do this?
Does it matter?

Taking back what I first wrote. 

Is there a Right or a Wrong way to do this? yes

Does it matter?  depends

Personally here I have seen contractors in new home builds do this.  I have also seen hired electricians do this.

This contradicts established electrical codes. 

That said though the newer homes built while the switch was connected to the outlet; home was wired electrically with romex.  This methodology of electrical wiring does not lean towards the addition of more electric wires in a home.  One new home here utilized fire breaks in the walls.  That said any addition wiring or changes would have to be done by tearing into the walls and most folks will not do this or have it done as it really is a PITA.

Personally I prefer to utilize UPB light switches in my walls today.  I have migrated many to dual load / multipaddle switches.

I do not connect anything other than lamp loads to these switches.  That said in my old home I would put covers over the switches outlets if not using them.  My personal issue way back and currently is the plugging in of a vacuum cleaner in the outlet.  I have never used a space heater. (FAQ accompanied a payment plan of $300 per damaged switch should the vacuum damage my wall switch).

Last two home sales I removed any automation switches (well it was X10 years ago) mostly because I didn't want to have anything to do with the complexity of an explanation of an automated switch.  (well that was over 20 years ago).  It would be the same today.  I prefer the work of removing the switches than even a reference to the switch.  Typically a non electrical lay person will not purchase an automated switch and pay an electrician $100 plus for installation of said automated switch.  That is just the way it is especially if you are looking at some 50-100 wall switches and its not part of their budget.

Here I went from 4 1000 watt toroidal landscaping transformers on separate loads / fuse breakers switched individually with automated switches to one UPB switch for more than 4 loads of LV LED transformers.  The electrical is very custom with conduit and metal boxes.  It is in the basement as I never kept the original 4 $300 plus individual landscaping transformers outside.  Today it's just one UPB relay for a set of switched outlets in metal boxes.  Personally here it would take me less than 5 minutes to replace the automated UPB relay to a regular switch which would be much easier to deal with than explaining my custom wiring (well that and I don't believe an non automated centric person whatever their trade would be would understand anyways).  It works for me.  Note that in the vicinity and in metal conduit I have 4 other circuits and breakers for this or for that.  The automated UPB switch relay in the box looks better than the older 4 autonomous automated relays. 

I have seen though a push and use of automation to that "rental home" vacation property for remote control.  There I have seen more than just a few times the circumvention of any standard electrical codes mostly relating to the total control of said home with no compliance to much and mostly relating to the bottom line of return on investment (even if it causes harm to a renter).  

With the OP also desiring dimming, it seems there's only one clear answer - make the switch transmitting only (connect the hot and the load and the hot of the switch all in one wire nut so power is always on to the switch); cap off the load-out from the switch and don't use it - then use a UPB Dimming Lamp Module.  Yeah it's an extra $50 but accomplishes all the goals and does it in a safe and code compliant way.  Added bonus - the lamp is no longer limited to the switched outlet - it can be anywhere in the room or even the home for that matter.

Back