What's with the new captcha?

sic0048

A new forum feature I guess?  Obviously it is designed to help stop spam, but it's a little annoying.  It would be nicer if the captcha was embedded in the posting area so that you could enter the words before hitting the "Post" button and not be taken to another page.

EDIT - that's odd.  I didn't have to enter it to post this thread, but I did on the forum post that I made just prior to this one.

I had it come up the other day as well - and it didn't work - it generated a server error on posting!  I then reloaded the same thread and put my response in again and it took it without showing me the captcha stuff.

they are the biggest pain in the ass.

Should only be needed for new users - for users that have over x number of posts you should be classed as trusted members and not need them.

I hate them as they are so hard to read sometimes.

I just talked to Electron about that briefly today; I think it's "on the list".  It's driven more by the CDN detecting some sort of pattern that triggers it and not directly embedded in the forum.

Yea, it's nothing something I control directly, I disable CAPTCHAs on this site whenever I can (just check out the registration screen), as I indeed hate them with a passion.

However, in order to enjoy the many security features my CDN offers, I am stuck with this dang CAPTCHA.  CocoonTech has grown significantly, and with it, comes an increase in attacks etc, so I have to really think about simple decisions such as disabling certain security features.  One of the many features is an AI which tries to detect attacks, and in many cases does a good job stopping these attacks.  However, it does seem to create some collateral damage as well with this annoying CAPTCHA requirement.

It has been there for over a year, not sure why it's being noticed only now.  I'm looking into disabling it, without giving up security, but it's usually triggered when you upload data which matches code or data which could be mistaken for suspicious behavior, and seems the be more prevalent when connecting from outside the US.

If you do see a pattern, please post about it here, because that's more data I can use to get this issue addressed with my service provider.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

I've had it a couple times in the last couple of months, but no pattern to it.  It honestly wouldn't be so bad if after doing the CAPTCHA, it actually worked.  The problem is that after doing it, the post doesn't go through and I have to do it again.

BTW, whether I'm posting from home or work, I'm on static business IP's.

BTW here I am not seeing the captcha picture with text anymore with the newer stuff; just in the last week or so?

This morning I just hit enter when prompted as I was uploading a picture.  It still let me upload and attach the picture even though I just hit enter as I couldn't see the picture.

Ok, something is definitely up because I am running into it even during basic form submissions.  I just made some changes which should hopefully do away with the CAPTCHA screens, unless your forum activity matches 'hacking the Gibson' pattern ;)  Please let me know if this is still happening, and accept my apologies for this, I do understand your frustration!

Back