• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

What's your audio warning on sensor trip?

IVB

What are folks doing for audio warnings if a sensor trips [ie smoke, heat, CO]?

I'm contemplating putting 3-4 internal speakers throughout the house that I could
use if a safety type sensor trips (ie smoke/heat/CO). I could play some chirping sound intermingled with something like "Warning: Dining Room Smoke Sensor tripped".

The reason I was thinking this as that I'd also be able to leverage this to:
1) Play doorbell chime [so I don't need multiple doorbells as we can't always hear the main one]
2) Warning to burglars if security sensor trips while in away mode.

What ways are you guys doing audio warnings?

jeffx

My 100db siren goes off if a smoke/heat detector trips ;) No problems hearing that anywhere on my block.

For the the CO detectors, all my alarm keypads (will) beep and a voice announcement (will) go over my intercom system (no call to central monitoring).

I also have an alert that announces over my intercoms when a door is left open for more than 3 minutes and then repeats every few minutes until the door is closed.

I can disable this message by opening, closing and then opening the door within a 5 second time window. I found this was an easy and effective way to disable the message when "intentionally" leaving a door open for an extended period of time(and very necessary for an acceptible WAF). This will still trigger a message, but only 1x every hour remininding us that the door is open.

edit: my wireless smokes also have local sounders built in.

elcano

jeffx,

Great idea about the disabling of the 3 min messages. I was thinking about the same tipe of warning, but didn't know how to override it. Thanks!

jeffx

elcano said:
jeffx,

Great idea about the disabling of the 3 min messages. I was thinking about the same tipe of warning, but didn't know how to override it. Thanks!
I'm finding that "simple" user-friendly methods like this to alter HA actions are a huge help to the WAF factor.

Is there a repository of macro flowcharts anywhere for other ideas I am sure I have not thought of?