What's your audio warning on sensor trip?

IVB

What are folks doing for audio warnings if a sensor trips [ie smoke, heat, CO]?

I'm contemplating putting 3-4 internal speakers throughout the house that I could
use if a safety type sensor trips (ie smoke/heat/CO). I could play some chirping sound intermingled with something like "Warning: Dining Room Smoke Sensor tripped".

The reason I was thinking this as that I'd also be able to leverage this to:
1) Play doorbell chime [so I don't need multiple doorbells as we can't always hear the main one]
2) Warning to burglars if security sensor trips while in away mode.

What ways are you guys doing audio warnings?

My 100db siren goes off if a smoke/heat detector trips ;) No problems hearing that anywhere on my block.

For the the CO detectors, all my alarm keypads (will) beep and a voice announcement (will) go over my intercom system (no call to central monitoring).

I also have an alert that announces over my intercoms when a door is left open for more than 3 minutes and then repeats every few minutes until the door is closed.

I can disable this message by opening, closing and then opening the door within a 5 second time window. I found this was an easy and effective way to disable the message when "intentionally" leaving a door open for an extended period of time(and very necessary for an acceptible WAF). This will still trigger a message, but only 1x every hour remininding us that the door is open.

edit: my wireless smokes also have local sounders built in.

jeffx,

Great idea about the disabling of the 3 min messages. I was thinking about the same tipe of warning, but didn't know how to override it. Thanks!

elcano said:
jeffx,

Great idea about the disabling of the 3 min messages. I was thinking about the same tipe of warning, but didn't know how to override it. Thanks!
I'm finding that "simple" user-friendly methods like this to alter HA actions are a huge help to the WAF factor.

Is there a repository of macro flowcharts anywhere for other ideas I am sure I have not thought of?

Back