What's your suggestion on how to integrate different platforms?

MidwestTechie

Started this journey many years ago with a bunch of X-10 devices, most of which crapped out after a period of time. 2+ years ago, during a major house renovation I took the plunge again. After much research, I installed 60+ UPB switches across approximately 6500 sq ft. For the most part, the system has worked well with only 2 device failures over the 30 month period. I had a bridge installed and that seems to have made the system very reliable.

Recently I installed several Schlage electronic locks, one of which was Z-Wave. I also added two Trane Z-Wave thermostats at same time and last weekend brought up the Vera to manage them. At the same time, we upgraded our 25 year old security system with a new Honeywell Ademco system with touch-screen panels. I can now access the security system and locks and thermostats remotely with iphone apps which seem to work as advertised.

Next steps - replacing 20 windows and doors in the rear of home and plan to add electronic, motorized blinds. Next spring, we plan to add 4-6 IP cameras

The set of goals, as I see it, is:

1) attempt to maintain only 3 technology platforms: Ademco (proprietary), UPB, and Z-Wave without adding a new, completely different technology
2) determine a way to integrate all 3 systems, if possible. (minimal integration to Ademco)
3) identify a single platform controller solution (hardware and software) to allow integrated remote access and programming.

Since there are many experts, both professional and novice, on this forum, what suggestions would you have to pull everything together? I have done a ton of reading, but I am interested in getting real-world HA experiences from other users and installers.

Have reviewed RUC, Mi Lifestyle, and Homeseer on hardware side. I have read that several of you are augmenting your current systems with Elve or CQC for more complex programming -- am I correct? If so, could one of these solutions act as a bridge to all three of my platforms?

so many questions, so little research time...

Regards, Mark

Back