Which wireless

english_1969

I'm planning to add some wireless sensors to my elk M1G and now I wondering which path - the GE Crystal or the Honeywell units.

They appear to have a similar array of sensors.

Any thoughts on which one? (I do realize there are other requirement probably needed, but perhaps wanted to get an impression from someone who has made this choice).

Thanks,
W

I use the GE units as well. Window/Door contacts and Motion, a total of 12 devices. I've had them installed for about 18 months and have had zero problems.

I have the Honeywell sensors, door, window, smokes and motion and have had no problems at all.

Over the years on this board I've heard most people use GE sensors; just in recent months an installer on the board has been advocating heavily towards honeywell so I've seen more people recently go that way.

I too use GE and it works great for me - they're popular products and easily accessible.

i use the honeywell because i migrated from a honeywell/ademco panel and wanted to reuse the wireless smoke detectors and key fobs i had

GE is only viewed as more common as it is used by GE's panels (ITI and Caddx formerly) and Radionics/Bosch (2000 series only). There's holdovers and a few different devices (such as the OHD sensor) but I can't comment regarding what is gotten via secondary distribution, since I get it via the trade networks, and as such Honeywell is only gotten from their distribution, where GE can be gotten from multiple distributors.

GE has 2 flavors, either SAW or Crystal. The M1 is only recommended to use crystal, not SAW because of signal drift, so that cuts the variety down even more.

Honeywell offers RF dual tecs, 3 other types of PIR's, "asset protection" devices, 9 different sizes and types of contacts, 4 different types of fobs, 4 diffent types of panic buttons, outdoor PIR's and transmitters, for starters. While it's a moot point for Elk, they also offer multiple keypads and bidirectional devices as well.

You may want to consider waiting a few more months until Elk releases it two-way RF mesh technology (http://cocoontech.co...w-2-way-rf-tech). The current problem with wireless sensors such as GE crystal is there’s no confirmation protocol. Sensor communication is one way. The sensor has to checkin with receiver periodically. It’s possible that receiver can become confused due to interference.

Once an alarm triggers, the receiver cannot send a, “is the zone/contact really open confirmation?” message. The receiver has to keep waiting for messages from violated zone/contact. Without verified communication, how long does the sensor wait for subsequent transmissions from violated sensor.

I have had two false alarms over the years with GE sensors. You can tell a false alarm caused by sensor communication problem when alarm and restoral timestamps match down to the second. There is no way to determine why the sensor false alarm other than replace sensor with a different one along with new battery.

Hopefully, Elk RF will have 99.9% reliability along with improved battery life (and better debugging). It will probably take some time for Elk to reach the variety of sensors offered by other manufactures.

I don’t know if the Honeywell wireless uses a similar unidirectional protocol.

P.S. Hopefully, Elk RF will be released in Q112 (hopefully, no more delays).

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe Elk's is mesh technology, merely a bidirectional that can receive information from the panel and the transmitters can adjust their RF output in relation to what the panel feeds back to help maximize battery life. I believe that the unit would keep transmitting until it got confirmation from the panel that the signal was received. Yes, there may be other features to it, however I don't see any mesh network aspects (or peer to peer repeating).

This is what Elk had to say:
ELK's 2-way wireless technology has unique benefits that vastly increase the overall reliability of this wireless system, such as acknowledgement between devices to confirm that signals get through and logic to repeat a missed transmission. Random frequency hopping ensures signal diversity and provides anti-jamming capability. RF power level is constantly monitored and adjusted to deliver a clear signal while maximizing battery life. To simplify installation, wireless devices contain LEDs that indicate battery status and signal quality.

GE is only viewed as more common as it is used by GE's panels (ITI and Caddx formerly) and Radionics/Bosch (2000 series only). There's holdovers and a few different devices (such as the OHD sensor) but I can't comment regarding what is gotten via secondary distribution, since I get it via the trade networks, and as such Honeywell is only gotten from their distribution, where GE can be gotten from multiple distributors.

GE has 2 flavors, either SAW or Crystal. The M1 is only recommended to use crystal, not SAW because of signal drift, so that cuts the variety down even more.

Honeywell offers RF dual tecs, 3 other types of PIR's, "asset protection" devices, 9 different sizes and types of contacts, 4 different types of fobs, 4 diffent types of panic buttons, outdoor PIR's and transmitters, for starters. While it's a moot point for Elk, they also offer multiple keypads and bidirectional devices as well.
Good to know. Of course, accessibility is quite relevant to those who frequent this forum; I know one of the more popular suppliers to CT fans doesn't seem to carry it; I didn't look too hard at the others.

The asset protection concept seems handy; and a better choice of PIR's would be nice (though I prefer wiring those whenever possible).

I asked this same question on the board some time ago. I eventually ended up going with Honeywell.
Let me start by saying I have had no issues with any of the honeywell devices.

I will say I now regret this decision and have found myself considering buying the GE elk reciever also... The main reason is availability.. Atleast for me (in Canada) GE is much easier to come by and in many cases cheaper, I also find they are a bit more modern looking then many of the honeywell devices (although honeywell does have some newer ones that are nice).

I would suggest comparing the cost and looking around and see how easily you can get either one. Trying to find decent prices now on honeywell devices I am constantly comming across better deals on equivilant GE devices.

Back