Who uses URC?

ComponY

Hey guys,

Was just curious to see how many of you used URC. If you don't use URC, what's your main controller for integrating multiple devices, and what do you use for video/audio?

I just started using URC to integrate basically all my stuff. They have drivers for so many things, and it's nice to be able to use their app or remotes/tablets to control everything. The programming is a little intense and takes some getting used to, but overall, it's nice!

I use them and love them. I started years ago with an MX-850 and through the years have played with mx-880's and mx-980's.  The MX-880 is my favorite. The mx-980 "upgrade" made the remote harder to use for my purposes.

I don't really use them to their potential but they are incredibly configurable and do a great deal to simplify using my A/V system. I use an 880 to control a TV, set-top-box and AVR. The AVR has a TV antenna, XBOX and PC connected through it so in the end my TV can display cable TV, OTA TV, XBOX and PC video display all with one remote control. The computer is on 7x24 now and displays my surveillance cameras as a default and I can switch to it with one click of a button.

You can find great bargains on Ebay on these because they get into the hands of people who have no idea what to do with a remote control that needs to be programmed by a computer. The prices range from $25 to hundreds of dollars and you just need patience.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
I use them and love them. I started years ago with an MX-850 and through the years have played with mx-880's and mx-980's.  The MX-880 is my favorite. The mx-980 "upgrade" made the remote harder to use for my purposes.

I don't really use them to their potential but they are incredibly configurable and do a great deal to simplify using my A/V system. I use an 880 to control a TV, set-top-box and AVR. The AVR has a TV antenna, XBOX and PC connected through it so in the end my TV can display cable TV, OTA TV, XBOX and PC video display all with one remote control. The computer is on 7x24 now and displays my surveillance cameras as a default and I can switch to it with one click of a button.

You can find great bargains on Ebay on these because they get into the hands of people who have no idea what to do with a remote control that needs to be programmed by a computer. The prices range from $25 to hundreds of dollars and you just need patience.

Mike.

Yeah, I'm actually about to integrate HAI, and RadioRa2, and some other stuff for the first time. Essentially using it as a controller. 

The new series of controllers are called Total Control and are probably the most capable for controlling  home automation devices. Be aware that the company does not support the DIY-er at all. You are on your own unless you buy from and have the system installed by an authorized dealer.

Mike.

I use Complete Control gear now.  I have an MSC-400 in my home theater setup, which is primarily controlled by an MX-980 over RF.  The MSC controls several sources by IR (Tivo, Sony BR player, Apple TV, Sony DVD changer, XBox One, PS3, URC PSX-2 by IR direct), a Sony AVR by RS232, and a Sony TV by IR direct.  It is also connected by RS232 to a Mac Mini that runs CQC in Windows 7.  I have set up a few trigger commands in CQC to control my Insteon lighting via an ISY-994, and my Russound CAM6.6.  I also use 2 MX-980s to control TVs and audio in two bedrooms by IR.  Finally, there are a few KP-900s sprinkled around, that do a mix of RF to the MSC-400 and IR in the bedrooms. They  are so darn inexpensive I couldn't resist buying a few, and they have magnets on the back to stick to metal objects like my fridge.  Too bad they eat batteries for breakfast, even with the backlighting off.

I recently acquired some Total Control 1.0 gear, and am planning to switch to it for some or all of my stuff.  The multiroom and two-way are nice upgrades for me, and there's support for more modern gear and Alexa.  I'll switch to IP control for the home theater things that support it, and add cameras and my HAI Omni IIe.  It's taking me a while to get used to the different programming paradigm, but so far I like it.  There's an IP trigger add-on by ChowMain that I think will allow me to trigger URC macros from CQC, which will be great if it works.  Then I'l finally be able to shut everything off when I leave the house, turn off everything upstairs when I go downstairs, etc.

But that will be the end of the road for me, I think.  I'm not a dealer, so TC 2.0 is completely inaccessible to tinker and DIY with.

-Tom

The mx-980 really does go through batteries fast which is one of the reasons that I prefer the mx-880. I also prefer the feel in my hand and the button layout. I have a 980 sitting in a charging cradle next to my arm chair and an 880 right next to it, both with identical programming. The 980 will use a battery in one day so it goes back into the charging cradle each night. The 880 battery will last me four or five days with the same battery and the same usage.

Mike.

My experience with the charge lifetime on the MX-980 is similar to yours, but it's the battery lifetime of the KP-900 I was bemoaning.  With the backlighting on, even at minimum duration, it's just a few days.  And we're talking 4 AAAs.  With it off it's weeks to months, which is still not very long compared to most unlit IR remotes.  But it's kinda cool that you can buy them cheap, stick them anywhere (they come with a wall mount), and control anything, at least with my MSC-400/CQC setup.

Of course, people say the same thing about remote apps on tablets and phones, too.  I just happen to like dedicated remotes.  Old fashioned, I guess.

I have a single MX-880 that i got as part of a package deal.  Never used it.  I'm going to charge it up and play with it this weekend.

-Tom

I have two MX-980 remotes and two of the In-wall KP-4000 models running through a MRX-1, I would have liked to try the newer Total Control stuff but DIY users are not allowed the software.
The KP-4000 is nice because it does IP control, I replaced a failing Insteon Keypadlinc with a regular Switchlinc and added a KP-4000 near the switch, it sends IP commands to my ISY-994i plus it can control lots of other stuff.
I have been using their remotes since the C-band satellite days when they were the only remotes with all the custom keys, now when my stuff dies I will probably just use an iPad or Android tablet instead.
Sucks that URC has decided we are not worthy, their loss and ours too.

I used to use strictly URC. MX800, 850, 950. They really went through batteries but were great.

I switched to the Harmony series, mainly as I can integrate the hub directly into CQC and monitor which activities are being triggered.

IVB

Does Harmony make a remote that is as configurable as the mx-880/980? With a macro language with if/then logic? Does the rf work as well? 

Mike.

I have a couple of MX-450 and I love them. They do what I need them to do even with their limited programmability compared to their dealer programmable models. I had an older model that lasted 15 years and was still going strong, would probably still be in use except that I needed the RF functionality of the 450.

It is really to bad that URC is so DIY unfriendly, they make really good products.

Any remote in the Complete Control line can be programmed by D.I.Y. users, only the new Total Control line is off limits to us. Buy from a dealer like Surf Remote and you can get the remote programming software, don't give money to dealers that refuse to give you the software.

It's the usual thing most likely. There's limited revenues available from DIYers for higher endy products; but, if you sell to DIYers, it costs you with integrators because they don't want to compete against direct sales. So it can sometimes be a financial necessity to limit sales to pros.

mikefamig said:
IVB

Does Harmony make a remote that is as configurable as the mx-880/980? With a macro language with if/then logic? Does the rf work as well? 

Mike.

No, but I moved all my logic out of the URC and into CQC as it's more powerful. CQC didn't know what activity was occurring with the MX unless I had an IR receiver and also added an action for that in the macro. Now I just start the first bit of the activity with what the Harmony can control, and CQC does what it can't (ie lower the PJ screen via hardwired control). Or whatever if/then logic I want.

Back