Wide angle security camera

english_1969

Hi,

I am trying to locate a wide angle, outdoor camera with built-in IR illumination.

I have a camera that works fine, but it's 3.6mm is not quite wide enough to fully capture the area of interest.

I've been doing a number of web searches, but coming up empty.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
W

According to the following Wiki relating to Foscam IP cams folks are removing the lens and putting a wide angle lens on them.

I have also heard of people replacing the existing lens in the Foscam Camera (it simply unscrews) with a 160° Wide Angle lens to give a better view. (Search eBay for ‘2.1mm CCTV Lens’). I haven’t tried this myself yet, but will at some point in the future.

Foscam ZM Wiki

look at teh cctv forum but I need more info. The CNB 24vf are nice and not to costly they have a zoom 1.8 to 3.8 there abouts. But I would avoid the IR it causes issues outside. If you have a good low lux camera there should be no need for IR unless you have 0 light.

According to the following Wiki relating to Foscam IP cams folks are removing the lens and putting a wide angle lens on them.

I have also heard of people replacing the existing lens in the Foscam Camera (it simply unscrews) with a 160° Wide Angle lens to give a better view. (Search eBay for ‘2.1mm CCTV Lens’). I haven’t tried this myself yet, but will at some point in the future.

Foscam ZM Wiki

look at teh cctv forum but I need more info. The CNB 24vf are nice and not to costly they have a zoom 1.8 to 3.8 there abouts. But I would avoid the IR it causes issues outside. If you have a good low lux camera there should be no need for IR unless you have 0 light.

Foscam ZM Wiki

If you are looking for baseband video, rather than IP cameras, check out Speco's image intensifier cameras. They are available with very wide angle lenses, and are great outdoors where IR illuminators may not have enough output to illuminate more distant objects.

I purchased a "Speco VL-650IRVF: 4-9mm vari-focal auto iris lens dome cameras" like a few months back for outside use. They have held up well. I have shut off the IR piece to the camera though. Once set up and focused they are OK.

Did get a deal on these when I purchased them for $50 each. They were sold as "generic" but same as.

Looked at the one/box it came in that I am playing with in the house. Well packaged - no markings on box or camera (model number etc).

Speco

Check the CNB for a couple dollars more you are getting over 600 lines True day night with a filter, The pic is much sharper, true focus and zoom, monalisa chip etc. The pic is much better. If you ever plan to do LED lighting also the one above will not work for some reason it whipes it out it can't deal with the spectrum and doesn't have a real ir cut filter in it. I had one job we had to remove 15 cameras because the person switched to led bulbs.

CNB VBM-24VF VANDAL RESISTANT DOME CAMERA, 600 TVL, 2.8-10.5mm VARIFOCAL LENS, 0.01 LUX
http://www.surveillance-video.com/vbm-24vf.html

The one above is not bad but is easy to tamper with and the pic is mediorcor at best. It is a basic chinees camera marketed under several brands. It tends to whipe out faces when they are close because it can't regulater the shutter based on ir or the ir output. Although it is not to bad for the price. I have put them in before but only as a last resort to keep costs low.

If you want a dome, you might want to check this one,

If you want a bullet check this one

You rock!!! These are perfect.

Thanks,
W

If you are willing to take the camera you have apart and either find a replacement lens for the mount it has or screw on a new mount and lens then this website may have what you need. I used the mounts and lenses when i was experimenting with a large format touch screen (see the nuigroup website). I modified a PS3 camera with one of these mounts and lenses for extremely wide angle close ups. This assumes it has some sort of CCD chip on a PCB.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/stor...ies-camera.html

Check out some of the videos and lenses here:

http://peauproductions.com/store/index.php...&cPath=26_4

Back