Window contacts on Double Hung Windows

mckearn

What good are window contacts on a double hung window, if someone clever can climb through the top half, if they can open it?? Would it be smarter to install glass break sensors, and PIR's??

Your point is mostly on target but.....

Most burglars/thiefs might be less than acrobatic and thus use the lower pane of the window. Personally, I used magnets on the top and bottom panes. If I have a window open, I want to:

1) know about it/be able to sense it
2) enable my heat/ac to know about it (tie it into my Elk or PowerHome rule events)

If you are just concerned about security, a motion sensor would work just fine by itself.

my 2 cents...

If the top half is fixed, you can use a vibration pad also. Vibration/shock pad on top fixed pane and contact or screen on lower pane. GB's are ok too. PIR's are good 'backup' but won't trip until they are already probably a few feet in the house. I want the system tripped immediately if perimeter is compromised.

Your point is mostly on target but.....

Most burglars/thiefs might be less than acrobatic and thus use the lower pane of the window. Personally, I used magnets on the top and bottom panes. If I have a window open, I want to:

1) know about it/be able to sense it
2) enable my heat/ac to know about it (tie it into my Elk or PowerHome rule events)

If you are just concerned about security, a motion sensor would work just fine by itself.

my 2 cents...

Points taken, thanks. Security is the primary concern, mainly when not at home. I'm not planning on linking thermostats. So many sensors would be very expensive for me, being older construction, and the ease of wireless. It was actually recommended to me by a Home Security installer, to just add glass break, and don't woryy about window sensors. Point being they will have to break glass to get in, should they do otherwise, I'm thinking PIR will pick them up, and off goes the alarm. Does anyone else find problems with this logic?

Points taken, thanks. Security is the primary concern, mainly when not at home. I'm not planning on linking thermostats. So many sensors would be very expensive for me, being older construction, and the ease of wireless. It was actually recommended to me by a Home Security installer, to just add glass break, and don't woryy about window sensors. Point being they will have to break glass to get in, should they do otherwise, I'm thinking PIR will pick them up, and off goes the alarm. Does anyone else find problems with this logic?
[/quote]

I have been installing security systems in custom homes for 25+ years, so here's the Logic:

1. Contacts only detect the opening of a door or window. Anything that's fixed does not need a contact.
2. Glassbreak/shock/vibration sensors only detect a forcible entry. If the window has no contact and is opened then there is no forcible entry to be detected.
3. Motion sensors should be primarily and ideally used for backup detection for when the home is unoccupied.
4. Contacts also alert the user to the fact a window is presently open (as Smarty points out). You would need to know that before you arm or you would have to check every opening not contacted to make sure ( not fun) and while your checking for o/c make sure that window is locked! You need to be aware of open windows for other reasons as well IE: RAIN! Now if you are the only person living in the home then making sure unprotected openings stay locked is easy.
5.There is only one reason not to contact the top on DH windows....expense! There are many reasons for contacts.
6. The alarm doesn't care if the window is locked, just closed.
7. Alarms detect intuders..locks and physical security slow them down or keep them out. You need both locks and alarms ( don't forget insurance)
8. The only glass that really needs to be protected is tempered glass (sliding glass doors, any glass in doors, or glass panes that extends down to the floor). This glass when broken simply falls to the floor in a pile of tiny pieces which makes it unnecessary to open the door that is contacted! Most DH and sliding windows use plate glass which would require time and noise for an intruder to get thru. If your home you'll here it, if not then that motion sensor comes into play.
9. Am I going on too long? ( my wife is calling me, darn)

I had the same situation. True you would save some money, and what is the chance of someone coming in through the top window, but isn't the security system there to ensure that proper action is taken if there is an intrusion and peace of mind? I found the expense and additional pain to be worth it.

Back