Wireless sensors with Elk M1 - Interlogix or Honeywell?

TrojanHorse

I have an Elk M1 with two-way wireless for security and other hardwired sensors including smoke and heat detectors. I'm considering adding another wireless protocol to my system (GE/Interlogix or Honeywell) which would basically be for some home automation purposes, not security or safety at this point as that's already well covered with what I have. I'm looking to do things like monitoring interior doors, cabinets or cupboards and additional motion sensors for occupancy. Maybe down the road I'd add some additional security sensors under this new protocol so I don't want to ignore that but it's not the primary purpose at this point. I'm also using Insteon and ISY.

I've seen relatively cheap (compared to Elk two-way) sensors on eBay and it occurred to me that with an investment in either the ELK-M1XRFEG or the ELK-M1XRF2H I could add real security sensors for less than the cost of Insteon sensors and definitely less than Elk two way sensors.

So I'm wondering what people here use and why and what they would choose today? I'm starting to look at the various sensor options that are available to see if I have a preference there. But I'm also curious about big picture things like if there's a significant difference in battery life, range, reliability, which company appears to be more innovative today, etc.

Any thoughts welcome; thanks in advance.

TrojanHorse said:
Anyone? I saw this: http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/31798-utc-is-ending-interlogix-residential/ Does that mean no new wireless sensors? Is there a commercial line?
There's not much difference in my experience between GE and Honeywell sensors functionality, range and reliability in my experience -- I used both.  It looks like GE sensors may no longer be manufactured so perhaps Honeywell's are 'better' in this respect.

Wrt. automation one has to keep in mind that the RF motion sensors have a 3 minutes inactivity period to conserve the battery. It may or may not affect your projects.

Thanks for the reply. Wondering the same about GE sensors still being made. Would be nice to know for sure.

Thanks for heads up on the 3 minute timeout. I imagine for these uses I would have longer timeouts of inactivity so should be fine. I’m thinking of lighting at this point and would probably use at least 20 minutes until lights off to avoid turning lights off when they should be on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrojanHorse said:
Thanks for the reply. Wondering the same about GE sensors still being made. Would be nice to know for sure. Thanks for heads up on the 3 minute timeout. I imagine for these uses I would have longer timeouts of inactivity so should be fine. I’m thinking of lighting at this point and would probably use at least 20 minutes until lights off to avoid turning lights off when they should be on. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is a complicated history to this company.  Interlogix was the original company, which was then sold to GE.  GE renamed it GE Security. GE in turn sold it to United Technologies, which reverted back to using the Interlogix name.   So whether the name on the box is GE or Interlogix, it is all the same stuff.

Two other companies that make GE compatible sensors are iON. and Versa.  But the choice of sensor types is limited.

RAL said:
There is a complicated history to this company.  Interlogix was the original company, which was then sold to GE.  GE renamed it GE Security. GE in turn sold it to United Technologies, which reverted back to using the Interlogix name.   So whether the name on the box is GE or Interlogix, it is all the same stuff.
Right, but :
https://www.securitysales.com/business/interlogix-to-shut-down-at-end-of-2019/

GE/Honewell sensors are rather primitive devices without any security or two way communication ability, but they work OK, especially wrt their battery life and range (in comparison to fancier  zwave/zigbee higher frequency sensors. E.g. a Honewell motion sensor signal has no trouble penetrating CBS walls (two of them), while a zigbee sensor at the same location becomes unresponsive when humidity increases.

vc1234 said:
Right, but :
https://www.securitysales.com/business/interlogix-to-shut-down-at-end-of-2019/

GE/Honewell sensors are rather primitive devices without any security or two way communication ability, but they work OK, especially wrt their battery life and range (in comparison to fancier  zwave/zigbee higher frequency sensors. E.g. a Honewell motion sensor signal has no trouble penetrating CBS walls (two of them), while a zigbee sensor at the same location becomes unresponsive when humidity increases.

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.  I think if I expand beyond my Elk wireless sensors I will lean towards Honeywell.  That said, maybe I'll just "try harder" and become better and better at drywall and paint repair to run wired sensors that won't become obsolete someday.  I'm afraid that could happen someday with my Elk wireless and Elk panel in total.

Look at Resolution Products. They make Honeywell-compatible sensors at a big discount over buying Honeywell-branded sensors.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Hey everyone. Sorry to dig up this old topic but I am purchasing an ELK M1 Gold and looking to get some additional sensors and I cannot decide whether to go with Interlogix or Honeywell.

I saw the article about Interlogix shutting down but there are other companies producing sensors as mentioned in previous posts. I also came across Ecolink (https://discoverecolink.com).

I'm leaning toward Interlogix seeing that the extra sensors I need I can get from alula/Resolution but I am not sure which way to go because there are limited companies making Interlogix sensors.

Any suggestions?

Interlogix wireless sensors is less a company making them but rather a protocol.  I'm not sure they opened the protocol or maybe the patents expired, but a variety companies make compatible ones.  I have about 30 from various companies, many outside in heat and rain (but sealed with silicon) and I cant think of one that has ever failed in 15+ years.  Batteries last about 10 years.  Buy a few extras. and I bet they will be running well past the length of time you own this home.  

Elk is producing Interlogix compatible sensors. I am not a fan of the one-way sensors due to false alarms. I have both Elk 2TWA and RF2G receives. I have a few GE sensors like a Resolution products driveway sensor, but nothing security.

Thanks for the feedback.

I went with 2 way for the window and door sensors and a few Resolution Interlogix compatible sensors for water and tilt.

Back