Wires on Neptune water meter

phenix

I have a Neptune t-10 water meter on the main water line for my house.

(http://www.neptunetg.com/uploadedFiles/NTG...ALL%2004.06.pdf )

It has 3 screw terminals on it with a 3 conductor wire connected which runs to a small box mounted to the side of the house. This is were the water company reads usage. Can these terminals be used to monitor water usage? Does anyone else have a setup with this type of meter?

Initially I was going to tap into my water meter but decided to install my own for water usage. I installed two. One on the main line coming into the house and another one on the sprinkler system line. I used two

DLJSJ75C: 3/4" $99.95 from http://jerman.com/dljcmeters.html

Most of my main lines are 1" and ideally you want to go with same or similar but I currently use a booster pump for my water anyways because of low water pressure where I live (also have a couple of water pressure meters installed ~25 PSI coming into the house). My booster pump is set to providing 35-40 PSI.

In my area the local town also provides a method of utilizing two main lines into your home (didn't know until after I installed my booster pump) - one just for your sprinkler system and another one for your regular water.

I am using a dual counter board from Hobby-Boards to count the flow from the two meters. I wish I could install a well. About two years ago our water rates ballooned (neighbor got hit with a $900/quarter invoice from the local town). The water is already bad where I live (very hard much iron - need a softner and iron extracter) - such that it will appear red in the toilets in this house and will tint your clothes red if you wash in this water.

Initially I was going to tap into my water meter but decided to install my own for water usage. I installed two. One on the main line coming into the house and another one on the sprinkler system line. I used two

DLJSJ75C: 3/4" $99.95 from http://jerman.com/dljcmeters.html

Most of my main lines are 1" and ideally you want to go with same or similar but I currently use a booster pump for my water anyways because of low water pressure where I live (also have a couple of water pressure meters installed ~25 PSI coming into the house). My booster pump is set to providing 35-40 PSI.

In my area the local town also provides a method of utilizing two main lines into your home (didn't know until after I installed my booster pump) - one just for your sprinkler system and another one for your regular water.

I am using a dual counter board from Hobby-Boards to count the flow from the two meters. I wish I could install a well. About two years ago our water rates ballooned (neighbor got hit with a $900/quarter invoice from the local town). The water is already bad where I live (very hard much iron - need a softner and iron extracter) - such that it will appear red in the toilets in this house and will tint your clothes red if you wash in this water.

Thanks Pete

I wish they had those for 1" pipes. We have very good water pressure and I would hate to restrict it by putting a 3/4 on. But besides that it would do the job nicely. Do you have them hooked up to a Omni or Elk after the dual counter board?

I haven't connected the water meters yet to the counter (the two meters I purchased sat for about 1-2 years) but plan on connecting it to either a Temp05/08 (I have two Temp08's and one Temp05) and utilize one of three 1-wire networks. This will connect to HS V2.X and will utilize the MCSTemperature/Sprinklers plugin. I do have a number of different items plugged into the Omni Pro II (IR, reed switches, thermostat, etc) at this time. I am also utilizing Xap for some additional HA stuff.

The supplier in the link above has a variety of sizes but the 1" and above are more money.

sorry to revive an old thread, but i just wanted to post some info just in case someone was looking for months like i have been.

if anybody is interested the neptune protocol is:

7 DATA BITS, 1 START BIT, 1 STOP BIT, EVEN PARITY, ASCII ENCODING

Example
SAMPLE READ. TOTALIZATION = 00000158
<STX> 2 0 0 S W <ETB> 0 0 0 0 0 1 <ETB> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 <ETB> h <ETB> 5 8 @ <ETB> 7 2 <ETX>

Start Delimiter: <STX>
Totalization Data (Digits 1-6): 0 0 0 0 0 1
Totalization Data (Digits 7-8): 5 8
Termination Delimiter: <ETX>

btw, has anyone had any succes interfacing with a neptune t-10? i found out the protocol and it doesn't look like a 1-wire counter would be able to measure anything. although i ordered one anyway to give it a try.

i know the scadametrics ethermeter can read the neptune and most other registers, but its $800.

Back