Wiring my house for Network! Yet another thread!

Curious what is on the other side of the wall in pics #157 and #158 at the top of the stairs?

Can you cut a temporary access panel there?  Is the wire going up to the attic from there?

The other side of #157 & #158 is MBR and you dont want to see a pic of the holes I have put there :) ... Yes I have some urgent patchwork to do....

Yes, the wire goes straight to attic from there...

What the heck...I will post a pic and make a fool of myself...standby...

Here is what the other side of that wall looks like now....I am literally pulling my hair (...and walls ) out ...

Attachments

• 20150213_141444 (Small).jpg
    20150213_141444 (Small).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 13
Here I created a chase from the basement to the attic.  (well more than one).  I use my wife's wanting to redecorate rooms to add infrastructure.  (well house was two years old?) to add more chases and infrastructure.  I did also find a "plumbing wall" that goes from the basement to the attic which I used.

Example: I wired one room with networking, security stuff, touchscreens and in wall speakers while concurrently redoing the room (everything really, walls, carpeting, windows, et al).  This was high on the WAF and I got my stuff done.

The wiring closet under the stairs is a great idea. 

The reason I mentioned what is on the other side of the wall was that I did similiar to you with one chase.

I did cut out a larger access panel (well its spread out to two studs wide and maybe 2 feet high and finished it such that it looks nice but is easy to remove for any future cabling needs.  Today though there is a large book shelf in front of one access panel. 

Someone stop me....done enough holes for the day :)

Did 2 more in the area under the stairs (wiring closet) to understand what the hell is going on.

One of the roof (or the slanted part of the stairs) and other on the same wall as the panel but one stud off.(towards the entrance and not towards security panel)

The one on the roof revealed nothing. Just the underside of the staircase framed by 2x4. So no access to outside the stairs from here.

The one I did one stud off revealed 2 electrical wires...still working on tracing those...

Much easier if you can see stuff in the walls.  Here I have conduit in walls but none of my LV wires are near / adjacent to walls with electrical.  Most important that you see what is on the top and the bottom in your wiring closet and chases. The second floor  Basement and attic is easy.   You want to have a clear view that you can see.  You do not want to guess.  If you want to close the large access panel it will look nicer if you can put the cut area on the studs and use drywall tape and compound to fix it afterwards.

In the attic I also built a cat walk.  The roof of the attic is really high such that I can walk around most of the attic. I also put lighting in the attic and ran more electrical circuits to the second floor via the attic.  There are lights positioned over the chases.   (well I put a chandelier - garage door motor -  lift up the over a cathedral ceiling)  There I had to reinforce some of the wood stuff too. 

2nd home with a very small wiring closet I stacked two cans one on top of the other using one chase up the attic.  There I have one HAI OPII can and my everything can below it.  Before the walls went up I (contractor) ran electric to the closet.  Where is your electric in your wiring closet for your stuff?  You have to be very careful when cutting the walls relating to the electric you have already in the walls.

I have also adding more lighting with a wall switch above the cans and did similar when helping a friend with his new home (walls were not up then though).  It makes it daylight like over the cans and easier to work in the cans.  (just a personal preference) Also put a phone line on the wall and still using an old phone connected to the current phone wiring old com closet style. (just a personal preference).

Attachments

• chaseinwall.jpg
    chaseinwall.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Pete for the suggestions. I do have plans but the toughest part for me has been running the wires. Either I suck bad or have been really unlucky.

I think extending the network can all the way is doable and part of my plan.

Not so sure if I can do the same in MBR, it would be in plain sight and most probably not acceptable.

-AM

The Elk wiring is the easiest cuz it uses thinner wires mostly 22/4 and 22/2. 

Easiest to not piece meal each wiring run.  (well except for the runs going to the second floor bedrooms).

Best to build a chase(s) that will take care of what you want today and tomorrow.  

Baby steps; first you want the infrastructure; then the rest will come easy.

All the second floor LV cabling here goes to the attic via one chase today (basement to attic).  I built a second chase and only use it for one run; but do not need it yet.

The DIY efforts and what you have done is great so far; keep going and let us know how you progress. 

You are actually teaching other folks that want to do this by posting your endeavor and pictures here.

I really hope it helps someone else coz I am Pissed (with a capital P)

Still staring at the pic RAL sent and trying to wrap my head around what might be happening....

-AM

You will be fine; go slow; baby steps a bit at a time.

You might be able to get the plans / drawings of you home that might help you some.  (its pages of stuff in layers).

The copies would be with the local authority that approved the construction of your home. 

Its a small fee to get a copy of the plans if they have them. 

Typically they are full sized architectural drawings which can provide you some granular details of the home infrastructure as built.

I might do that...get the drawings. I did get some drawing from the pervious owner but they just have the elevations...no interior details.

The copies from the city will have everything?

Here is a picture of the stackup I drew based on my understanding.

What still beats me is that I am in a 1' opening if I probe from the bottom.

I am in a 1' opening if I probe from the bottom.

If the existing cable is drilled halfway through the joist to get to its place...this stackup is incorrect.

Could it be 1 2x6 on top of the 2x4 which would mean I should be able to drill from top right next to where 2x6 meets the 2x4 and get through...

Confused!!!

Attachments

• 20150213_165646.jpg
    20150213_165646.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 9
The copies from the city will have everything?

Well typically for construction approval and during and post contruction a copy is provided to the building department of your town and they are kept for archival purposes.  That said that is here in the midwest and in Florida (well from my experience).

Here also purchased a few very long drill bits that I used for new cable runs.  Thinking that they are 4-5 feet long each and smallest has a 3/8" bit on the end of it.   Largest is 1" (I think?)

A friend gave me those fiberglass poles (set of them) that I used for some runs of wire.   IE: I have multiple attics here and one attic has hardly any head space where I could only crawl in it.  Instead of crawling used one of those fiberglass extensions.  (I do not know what the official name is for these).

Yup, have all of those...thats what I am using for all these long range drilling.....who said DIY is cheap :)

Did some more measurements, If I probe the hole from the bottom, I can go in approx 15" before I hit something.

so if its 2 2x4s that approx 4 inches...then a 2x12....or 2x10 .... and the measurements would add up...

I am leaning towards continue drilling from bottom and see where I come out.

I think I am okay as long as I am not drilling into the joist which I am not...

The thinking is that either I will hit the top plate 2x4 and will be spot on or I will hit the second floor subfloor and come out either in MBR somewhere....

It still beats me why was the original wire drilled THROUGH the joist...

thoughts?

Back