wiring new house, some questions

Could someone please clarify exactly how many RG's I need to run from the dish location to the wiring closet?

I just wired my parent's house and only ran 2 RG's for the dish. I don't have much experience with modern sat systems, but assumed 2 would work, using one for each of the polarities. With that said, I have seen houses with multiple dishes on the roof, but didn't know if they were all locally connected or if each was fed back to the closet.

Assuming they will only have a single Rx in the den (likely HD), will 2 feeds from the dish to the closet (patched to the den) suffice? Likely service will be DishNetwork.

Thanks,
gk

<snip>
I know this probably does not help much, but it really depends on how important tv/recording and HD are to you... Oh, and if you go the central route, remember you will need IR distribution as well, unless you have all RF based receivers/remotes. Just remember at least 1 port on the multiswitch = 1 receiver/tuner and 4 come standard on the dish, so at a minimum you need to pull 4 RG6 from the dish location to either your closet or wherever you may put another multiswitch. You CANNOT use a regular cable splitter, you must use cascaded multiswitches if using more than 4 feeds. You probably know this, but you do not 'punch' RG6. I would put a separate distribution system for it, unless of course you centralize it and feed it out Cat5 in which case you can patch it into your master panel as an input.

Wow, I hope 4 didn't confuse you even more ;)

Could someone please clarify exactly how many RG's I need to run from the dish location to the wiring closet?
At a minimum I would run 4. While 2 may work for them right now, there may be new features coming that will require more runs.

Whats a good size conduit to include in a new house for the purpose of future proofing? In other words..what size can I ask the builder to put in the walls without having to make the wall widers or do other special things?

Put in several 2" round pipes. I think anything larger requires special things, but that could just be my older house.

With several pipes, no one tube gets too clogged and hard to pull things through. I'm having that issue with one of the pipes I ran.

Back