Wiring TS300 to Vista 15P?

jtw

Hi All!  I have a Vista 15P with a 4219 zone expander.  I found a device called Ademco TS300.  It looks like it is exactly what I was looking for to give me an indication that either my heater or ac has failed while I am out of town.  I can find the installation manual, but it doesn't have any details about how to connect wires to the 4219 expansion module.  I want to have the low temperature alarm in one zone, and high in another, if possible (but not necessary....I can guess).  Can anyone out there provide me with wiring instructions?

I know you said you have the installation guide but wanted to link to it in case you don't have the right one:

https://library.ademconet.com/MWT/fs2/TS300/English-Installation-Instructions.PDF

The unit does handle both a high and low temperature alarm without a remote probe needed.

You would need to use two different zones on the 4219 and you'd land a 2-wire connection from the Output 1 and Common terminals on the TS300 to the zone terminals on the 4219 for the zone you'll be programming as high temp and another 2-wire connection from the Output 2 and Common terminals on the TS300 to the zone terminals on the 4219 for the zone you'll program for low temp.

Yes, that's the manual I have.  It's just 2 wire?  There's a + and - terminal on the TS300.  I also think I may need some resistors somewhere.  AND, I'm not even 100% sure that I can use it with the zone expander.  (Is this an eol device?)

You should be able to use the TS300 with the 4219 zone inputs.

The + and - terminals on the TS300 get connected to a DC power supply of 7 to 16VDC. 

The alarm relay outputs are the terminals labeled Output1/COM and Output2/COM.  You would wire Output1 and Com to one zone input and Output2 and COM to a second zone input. (I'm assuming you want to use one as a low temp alarm and the other as a high temp alarm).

[Edit: Corrected EOLR wiring]

If you have the TS300 programmed to operate the outputs as normally closed, you would add a 2000 ohm EOL resistor in series between each Output terminal on the TS300 and the wire back to the 4219.

RAL said:
You should be able to use the TS300 with the 4219 zone inputs.

The + and - terminals on the TS300 get connected to a DC power supply of 7 to 16VDC. 

The alarm relay outputs are the terminals labeled Output1/COM and Output2/COM.  You would wire Output1 and Com to one zone input and Output2 and COM to a second zone input. (I'm assuming you want to use one as a low temp alarm and the other as a high temp alarm).

If you have the TS300 programmed to operate the outputs as normally closed, you would add a 2000 ohm resistor in parallel across each set of Output and COM terminals as an EOLR.
OK.  I should have warned you that I'm a novice.

The biggest question I still have is the configuration of the 2 resistors.  Is it the same set-up as door closures?  On my panel, one wire goes directly to one of the zone terminals, but the other wire is connected to one end of a resistor.  The other end of that resistor is then connected to the second terminal on the Vista.  Will this be the same?

So, I'll need a total of 6 wires running between the Vista controller and the TS300:
o   + and - from terminals 4 and 5 on the Vista (also used to power keypads)
o   and 2 pairs wired to 2 zones on the 4219 expansion module

Which would be the better way, normally open or normally closed?  I guess normally closed, so that I get an alarm if a connection gets loose?

jtw said:
OK.  I should have warned you that I'm a novice.

The biggest question I still have is the configuration of the 2 resistors.  Is it the same set-up as door closures?  On my panel, one wire goes directly to one of the zone terminals, but the other wire is connected to one end of a resistor.  The other end of that resistor is then connected to the second terminal on the Vista.  Will this be the same?

So, I'll need a total of 6 wires running between the Vista controller and the TS300:
o   + and - from terminals 4 and 5 on the Vista (also used to power keypads)
o   and 2 pairs wired to 2 zones on the 4219 expansion module

Which would be the better way, normally open or normally closed?  I guess normally closed, so that I get an alarm if a connection gets loose?

Yes, the setup for the EOL resistors is the same as for a door contact (assuming both are normally closed).   It sounds like in your case, the resistors are back at the panel, rather than at the door contacts.  You can do that, but that bypasses the fault supervision of the wiring that EOLRs are supposed to provide.

I would go with a normally close configuration.  That will trigger an alarm condition if the wire gets cut, or if the TS300 loses power.  Put the EOLR at the TS300 rather than at the panel and you will also be able to detect a short in the wiring.

Note:  Your post made me realize I had said the wrong thing for wiring the EOLR in my previous post.  I described what you should do for a normally open contact rather than normally closed.  I corrected the post with an edit.

Thank you soooooo much!  I'm digesting.  The EOLR stuff is new to me, and the actual wiring for our existing zones is different than the wiring diagram on the can. I'm doing some reading to try to figure out the implications.  Please check this thread in a few days if you get a chance.

Back