Woodworking thread

Those who have workshops, and know what is/isn't big enough (ya ya, I know...theres no such thing as big enough..), please take a look at my basement thread and give input if you can on how well my layout of workshop will work.

Well, I found that the local Sears carries the Boeshield rust remover and lube/wax, so I'll pick those up tomorrow. What do you use to actually clean the surface before you apply the boeshield to it?

If there is no visible dirt, I don't clean is except for removing loose sawdust. If there was visible goop stuck to the table top, I would probably use some type of solvent or paint thinner or googone. Perhaps a citrus cleaner.

If you have any thoughts of ripping an 8 foot board, you need a theoretical minimum of 16 feet, but in realty you need a minumum of 20. You might get away with 15 the other way. That would be the bare minimum in my opinion. A room that small would require efficient use of space, tools on wheels, and serious amount of anal retentiveness on keeping things tidy.

My workshop is 25 by 25. I would like bigger, but what can you do? I have a radial armsaw, a ten inch band saw, a table saw, a router table, and an L shaped workbench. The ceiling is 12 feet. I have a bunch of those wire rack shelving units on wheels (Costco) that I lined up next to each other and slide out like giant drawars to get to the stuff (rather than leave walking space between). I plan on picking up a floor size drill press and likely more stuff as time goes on.

I will reiterate what others of had said.

You cannot have a large enough shop! Wheeled tools help.

#1 thing though, make sure all your benches and tool heights are the same. It really makes life simpler.

Here are a few shots of my shop(it's 22'x30'), always a work in progress..... These were taken with a 15mm fish-eye, so they are a little distorted.

First shot is from the entry, my shop is on the second floor above the garage. In the back you can see some barn doors that open and a jib crane I built to haul things up and down with.

shop_MG_3499.jpg

A closer shot of the corner, all the tools in the back are on wheels, including the homemade panel saw.

shop_MG_3500.jpg

My dust collector lives in this closet, it cuts down on the noise.

shop_MG_3501.jpg

Last shot is facing the entry. I mostly have the shop split into metal working on one side, and wood working on the other. You can also see some of my parts room in the corner.

shop_MG_3503.jpg

Good luck with your shop.

Brian

That's some spiffy area Brian. I can feel the creative pull just from looking at it!

I had thought of a single vacuum in an area and then connecting all the workstations via ducting. Do you valve off branches when working on specific equipment, or does the vacuum pull all hoses when it's on?

Ya know, I've begun to realize something about myself. And it doesn't make much sense, and it's a little baffling, but it's part of what makes me happy. And, humourously, it's almost directly tied into how my HA hobby is manifesting itself.

I'm a tinkerer. I'm more excited about making jigs and sleds than I am about using those things to make crafts. I'm more excited about making a router table than actually using the table for a project. I'm more excited about making a workshop area and organizing the tools and power and vacuum and all that than I am about having an area ready for use.

It's the same way with CQC. I've spent just about 4 years now just devoted to drivers, whether for myself or others. And it's what INTERESTS me. I only dabble in what else CQC can do, which is why my interface screens languish in a middle ground between functionality and appearance. I'm just more interested in the back-end details than in the finished product.

*sigh* :rolleyes:

It's not a failing I'd say...just an interesting part of my character that this recent enthusiasm for woodworking has revealed. I'm more excited about the t-track and jig knobs I ordered from rockler than I am most other things. Strange, really...but hey, that's me. Heh

I think I'm going to annex a large part of the basement for now. Come 5 years from now, if we're serious about finishing the basement, then I'm probably going to be serious about having my own external workshop. Or I'll have moved on to some other interest...that wouldn't be beyond me.

I will reiterate what others of had said.

You cannot have a large enough shop! Wheeled tools help.

#1 thing though, make sure all your benches and tool heights are the same. It really makes life simpler.

Here are a few shots of my shop(it's 22'x30'), always a work in progress..... These were taken with a 15mm fish-eye, so they are a little distorted.

First shot is from the entry, my shop is on the second floor above the garage. In the back you can see some barn doors that open and a jib crane I built to haul things up and down with.

shop_MG_3499.jpg

A closer shot of the corner, all the tools in the back are on wheels, including the homemade panel saw.

shop_MG_3500.jpg

My dust collector lives in this closet, it cuts down on the noise.

shop_MG_3501.jpg

Last shot is facing the entry. I mostly have the shop split into metal working on one side, and wood working on the other. You can also see some of my parts room in the corner.

shop_MG_3503.jpg

Good luck with your shop.

Brian

Nice shop Brian. Does the cleaning lady clean up for you? :rolleyes: I like your dust collection in the floor. I don't think that will ever happen in my shop as I have a concrete slab floor. My shop is a free standing building with a garage door. I have to say, having it at ground level with a garage door is a very nice feature. Not only for getting stuff in and out, but also for the nice weather day, just open up and work half-in half-out.

Well, the table saw top turned out to be aluminum...not a big surprise given it was a contractor's saw. But it did mean those tabs on the miter slots cut right off with the dremel. And I guess it also means I don't have to worry about rust! Do you think it makes sense to wax it still? Obviously it won't serve as rust protection, but I'm wondering if it will still help wood to slide over it easier.

I came across a craigslist ad for a jointer.

joiner.jpg

Granted, it's only an image, but it looks to be an old-school jointer. Seems like the old stuff seems to be favored. I asked him about the model, brand, and size, we'll see what he says. But does this look familiar to anyone offhand?

I'd wax the aluminum to reduce friction.

The jointer looks very much like my old Rockwell 6"(delta predecessor) from the back. Mine still has the belt guard. I think those castings have been ripped off by several makers though...

Anyone recommend a table saw for around $1,000, the tiny little off brand job site saw I have just isn't cutting it anymore (no pun intended).

I can drive to work and use the panel saw there faster than I can set up the fence and get it square on the unit I have. looked at aftermarket fences that would work, few nice options that would work but they cost more than my current saw.

Anyone recommend a table saw for around $1,000, the tiny little off brand job site saw I have just isn't cutting it anymore (no pun intended).

I can drive to work and use the panel saw there faster than I can set up the fence and get it square on the unit I have. looked at aftermarket fences that would work, few nice options that would work but they cost more than my current saw.

I'd surf Craigslist for an older Unisaw, but I just checked for one in Northern Wisconsin and found nothing. As a matter of fact, your area sucks for Craigslist....

Brian

Ok, I hate to be annoying about this, but I'm just beginning this....

I've cleaned the surfaces now with some WD40 and steel wool, and they're looking better. I bought some wax today to put on them. Now, I had heard "a hard wax", and even one site I found somewhere said parrafin wax. Well, I bought turtle wax at Lowes. I opened it up, and it's a lot closer to cottage cheese than anything else. So, did I get the wrong kind of wax?

My wife has a ton of candle wax, and she also has parrafin. If neither of those will work, then what specifically do I look for at the store? It's not like I could open up the container at Lowes and check it's consistency....

Yeah Brian it's pretty slim and overpriced, been trying to find a pinball table for under $1k for about two years now.

Beelzerob, I just read an article that had a few recommendations for specific products, I'll try to dig it out and pass along the information.

DrunkenLizard - maybe you could ask around at a local specialty store, maybe try a wood supply store? They may be quite knowledgeable there. ;)

I need to add fluorescent lights to my workshop ceiling. I'm leaning toward T5 fluorescents - would anyone consider himself an expert in shop lighting, or have some specific suggestions? Much appreciated.

(I know DL works at a plywood distributor/store. B) )

Back