wow, check out this dvr/camera deal

there are 8 cameras of type QD28414W (74 degree FOV), which are available online for $80-$100 and have a couple of okay to good reviews on amazon, and 8 more cameras of type QD28414 (42 degree FOV) which i can't find reviews of, but appear to be the same model with just a smaller FOV.

the dvr by itself (QSD2316L) is available on amazon for $650 and has 1 5-star review (albeit, unhelpful and undetailed)

The camers only have 420 TV Lines which is really low. I wouldn't recommend purchasing anything lower than 500 if you want to be able to stream the images.

Even with only 420 lines, it's useful to keep track of what's going on around your property. Maybe not so good to actually identify a person or license plate, but if motion is detected somewhere, you could rig it to automatically bring up the camera(s) for that area on any displays around the house.

Well I think it is going to be one of those situations where you get what you paid for. For generic use, it is probably OK. Just keep in mind that the cameras will probably not give a very good picture in low light or night scenerios. The IR system is only rated for 30' and generally speaking, the marketing people consistantly overestimate that number by 50%. So it is possible that the IR will only be effective out to about 15-20' with these cameras. Mounted on the eave of a roof on a 2 story structure and you might have a hard time getting ANY kind of decent range out of them.

DOn't get me wrong, there is a lot of equipment for $900. But in the end, I suspect that any looking for a serious CCTV system will end up having to replace all the parts eventually due to a lack of performance with this kit.

Just my 2 cents and I do not have any experience with these cameras, so I could be completely wrong. But most people I know on these forums that started out with inexpensive equipement regrets that they bought it. (I was reading a post from IVB on this subject just today on AVS forum).

I wonder about buying the package, and then swapping out a couple of the cameras for better quality ones, where it counts. Might be an option.

I, too, am still learning about cameras.

I always point to CT if a person asks about HA. For security cameras, I find CCTV Forum. There's a lot of great information there, as well as some very helpful members.

HTH,

Kevin

Other than alarm window stickers and yard signs... and maybe bars on the windows and doors... there isn't much you can do to deter the school skipping delinquent kid down the street. Cameras of whatever resolution are as good a deterrent during daylight hours as floodlights are at night.

Other than alarm window stickers and yard signs... and maybe bars on the windows and doors... there isn't much you can do to deter the school skipping delinquent kid down the street. Cameras of whatever resolution are as good a deterrent during daylight hours as floodlights are at night.

It still allows you to see what's going on when you're not home. A few months ago, someone shot my house and my neighbor's house with yellow paint balls. But it was just out of view of one of my cameras. I'm pretty sure I know which kids did it, but their parents claim they don't have paintball guns.

And, when I'm home and my outside motions alert me to motion, I'd like to be able to just bring it up and see what it is. It's frequently a deer or a coyote, and I've got something for the coyotes.

It still allows you to see what's going on when you're not home. A few months ago, someone shot my house and my neighbor's house with yellow paint balls. But it was just out of view of one of my cameras. I'm pretty sure I know which kids did it, but their parents claim they don't have paintball guns.

And, when I'm home and my outside motions alert me to motion, I'd like to be able to just bring it up and see what it is. It's frequently a deer or a coyote, and I've got something for the coyotes.

kids with paintballs guns, coyotes and I thought the animals coming through my property was annoying.
;)

Stevene

Back